UKC

Snow Anchor/Tent Peg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr G 06 May 2010
I’ve been busy finalising kit for Denali and avoiding revision for my finals. I wanted any knowledge of what would make good anchors in snow/ice for tents?

I’ve seen MSR Coyote Snow Pickets (http://www.rei.com/product/474241) and heard from others that these work particularly well at securing tents in high winds.

Does anyone have experience with these? What are the best tent pegs for snow and ice? (I have a MHW Trango 2 tent)
Do you think it would be easy enough for me to make my own version? Or are they over engineered?

Thank you,
 Hannes 06 May 2010
In reply to Mr G: Hilleberg do good ones that are probably cheaper and can be found in London at least
 Jamie Hageman 06 May 2010
In reply to Mr G: you're not a gay drama teacher are you? (Mr G from Summer Heights High)

With regards to anchoring a tent in snow, filling mini parachutes with snow and burying them is the thing to do. Haven't tried it, but making your own from carrier bags/old curtains might do the trick.
 blackdog 06 May 2010
In reply to Jamie Hageman:
> (In reply to Mr G) you're not a gay drama teacher are you? (Mr G from Summer Heights High)
>
> With regards to anchoring a tent in snow, filling mini parachutes with snow and burying them is the thing to do. Haven't tried it, but making your own from carrier bags/old curtains might do the trick.

i have used carrier bags filled with snow they work very well and cost nothing
 uncontrollable 06 May 2010
In reply to Jamie Hageman:
that what I wanted to suggest,
just make sure the material is strong enough, but certainly cheaper and lighter than stakes
 jonnie3430 06 May 2010
In reply to Mr G:

I bury my walking poles. Depends on whether you need them for the route.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...