UKC

Footwear for grade 2/3 summer scrambles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juglan 21 May 2010
All I have are fully rigid B3 boots or a pair of trail shoes. I don't want to buy anything else but cannot decide which would be more appropriate.

Is the solution to use the trail shoes and take some rock shoes along too, for certain section?
 mattrm 21 May 2010
In reply to Paul Doran:

Either approach shoes (5.10 guides or similar) or just a normal pair of walking boots. Despite the slagging it got on this forum earlier, there is a section on boots for scrambling in this month's Trail mag.
 Neil Pratt 21 May 2010
In reply to Paul Doran:

Depends on what your trail shoes are - I've done grade 2/3 scrambles and moderate sections on long routes in a pair of Scarpa Zen shoes, so anything like those of 5.10 guides or something would probably be fine. If your shoes are more flexible than that, you might want to throw your climbing shoes in your bag just in case - they don't weigh much and it'll be far less hassle than getting cragfast on a tricky section.
 Monk 21 May 2010
In reply to Paul Doran:

It's only scrambling - I don't think it particularly matters what you have on your feet. Either B3s or trail shoes would be fine. I have scrambled in both, but more normally I will be wearing a normal pair of walking boots. B3s are likely to be too hot in summer, and trail shoes might not keep the water out on a wet day, but would be perfect on a dry day.

I don't think I know anyone who has taken rock shoes on a scramble. If you need them, then you have probably gone off route.
 Milesy 21 May 2010
I wear a pair of sturdy leather boots. My mate wears his B2 no problem.
OP Juglan 21 May 2010
I know in winter I really appreciated stiff soles, which is where my worry about trail shoes comes from.

Thanks for reviews in trail but I saw that and that involves buying things which I don't want to do.

My shoes are this:

http://responsibletravel.itchyfeet.com/product_info.php?products_id=6695

Bearing in mind this is unprotected I need something I can rely on, which is why I will take my rock shoes no matter what to avoid plumeting to my death
 jamestheyip 21 May 2010
In reply to Paul Doran:
> I know in winter I really appreciated stiff soles, which is where my worry about trail shoes comes from.

This looks perfect to me. Don't worry!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...