UKC

Beal cobra II 50m or 60m?? oh the dilema

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gcandlin 03 Jun 2010
I'm looking to get some half ropes soon and cant decide if I should go for the 60m dry treated or save myself a load of cash and get the 50m non dry treated.

Despite what I might like to think in reality my climbing is made up of something like this:

50% single pitch trad, peak/yorkshire
30% multipitch trad., lakes/north wales
10% sports (already ahve a 60m single for this)
10% winter (easy grade 1/2 stuff)

given the above would I be wasting my money going for the dry treatment and the 60m given I would only really need it for 10% of what I tend to do (ithink).

Any thoughts welcomed.

groovy_nut 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin:

What about dry treated 50's?
 jkarran 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin:

Can you borrow ropes for the winter stuff? If not then I'd get em long and dry or more likely I'd get just one.
jk
In reply to gcandlin: I prefer 60m as many of the single pitch routes I climb are under 30m, so you can climb on the 60m doubled, but you have the flexibility of 60m for long multi-pitch routes.
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
but if you have an accident near the top of the cliff you'd be unable to be lowered to the ground if the cliff is much over 15 meters.
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin:
I think having dry treated ropes is good for any mountain climbing as weather can not be assured and wet ropes are a pain and not as strong. They will also likely last better as the dry treatment improves the handeling of the ropes.

60 meters can be handy but the extra weight is a pain. I personally would only buy 8mm ropes in 60 meters and would stick to 50 if you intend to get an 8.5mm or 9mm.
 jkarran 03 Jun 2010
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> but if you have an accident near the top of the cliff you'd be unable to be lowered to the ground if the cliff is much over 15 meters.

You can untie and drop the unloaded one. Assumes of course you're conscious but then there's plenty of other scenarios where you can't be lowered. I must confess it's not something that even comes into my head when choosing a route/rope combo.

jk
OP gcandlin 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin: I suppose what it comes down to is I can get away with non dry treated 50m option but have to accept that there will be times when its a bit of a pain in the arse ie winter and if I get rain on in the hills, plus slightly less durability. Is avoiding that potential inconviniene worth the extra £70 given the number of times I am likely to suffer it? Hmmm...
OP gcandlin 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin: Also quite looking forward to the security of half ropes, i like the thought of the extra redundancy, even though I appreciate single ropes breaking is relatively rare( waits to be corrected)
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin:
dude how much have you seen the cobras for. I've used beal and mammut ropes and for half ropes I think the Genesis or Pheonix will last you better. Dry treatment shouldn't be as much as 70 quids more.
OP gcandlin 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin: No but the dry treatment plus an extra 10m is. Not used either ropes so have no preference for either, just found the beal cheapest so far( not by much). Why do you rate the mammut more highly?

Cheers
OP gcandlin 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin: Oops 60m dry treated, pair £220
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin:
the mammuts tend to fur up slower so last longer. The beals have better stats (max force number of falls etc) but I have my reservations how well the stats hold up once the ropes are two years old and have been rained on and washed (after sea cliffs) multiple times, for me how long the ropes last is more important.
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2010
In reply to gcandlin:
these may be worth a look too
http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69_43_160&prod...

http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69_43_160&prod...

I have the pheonix and think they are great.

did you get my mail?
 Max factor 03 Jun 2010
In reply to CurlyStevo:

i've got a pair of dry treated 55m beal cobras, about 7 or 8 years old and have lasted really well.

i'll be replacing with a pair or 50m dry treated cobras - the treatment means they last longer and handle better so worth it even if it is not for winter stuff.
In reply to gcandlin: 50m single ropes are, IMO, redundant. before I get slated for such a bold statement here is my reasoning:

1: most modern indoor climbing centres have routes that require at least a 50m rope. So, intensive use indoors mean the ends get tatty quicker than they would from irregular outdoor use. Buying a 60m rope means that when this occurs you can trim the ends off and still have a rope long enough to use indoors.

2: most sport climbing venues require 60m min (esp. on the continent)
 Milesy 03 Jun 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I got a dry treated Edelrid Eagle Rope 9.8mm, 60m for £99 brilliant.
 Max factor 04 Jun 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to gcandlin) 50m single ropes are, IMO, redundant. before I get slated for such a bold statement here is my reasoning:
>
> 1: most modern indoor climbing centres have routes that require at least a 50m rope. So, intensive use indoors mean the ends get tatty quicker than they would from irregular outdoor use. Buying a 60m rope means that when this occurs you can trim the ends off and still have a rope long enough to use indoors.
>
> 2: most sport climbing venues require 60m min (esp. on the continent)

yeah, but the OP is aksing about 1/2 ropes, so while 50m singles might be less useful than they were (though I have not seen any indoor walls 12-15m I have to say), it's not really a relevant argument.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...