UKC

what to use to wash a rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
neilnevill 06 Jun 2010
My wall rope is getting a little full of chalk and after a trip to Bowles today it feels like it has picked up some sand so I was thinking of washing it. Instructions here http://www.mammut.ch/en/ropes_handling_care.html but whst is 'A mild synthetic detergent' ? I have soap flakes, they are mild but soap not detergent. or biological powder. Either okay or do I need to go and get a non bio?
Plan is to drop it loosely inside an old pillow case ans shove in the machine on a cool/delicates wash.

Drying seems to be the pain....layout somewhere cool and dark..hmm.....not the conservatory then.
 wilkie14c 06 Jun 2010
In reply to neilnevill:
Lux or similar. <pure soap flakes> run a wash cycle, empty and without any powder just to purge your machine before you put the rope in though. chain linking the rope will make it easier to dry, it'll get air around it all and reduce length by 4.
neilnevill 06 Jun 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:
Ahh cheers, soap flakes it is then.
I'd thought about giving the machine a flush, cheers.
Ah chainlinking, good idea, Seen it done but not sure how....off to google.
neilnevill 06 Jun 2010
In reply to neilnevill:
Ah ha, google is my friend and so is youtube it seems
youtube.com/watch?v=e-k-8WRMoEw&

thanks.
 wilkie14c 06 Jun 2010
In reply to neilnevill:
Its pretty easy but hard to explain. Kind of take the centre of the rope and keep putting it through itself :-/

don't be sueing me if it goes wrong! its worked for me and countless others, thats all. there is always someone that says it shouldn't be done though. The Beal rope marker is good if a little costly, they do a rope brush as well. I have never used wash-in dry treatments though so can't speak for thier worth.
neilnevill 06 Jun 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:
Got the chainlink thing sorted, cheers.

rope marker? Ahhh....is a wash going to remove my middle marking? (it was pre-marked by Mamuut....looks like blue felt tip ink to me but no ordinary ink I know)
 wilkie14c 06 Jun 2010
In reply to neilnevill:
It may wash, they are generally worn off with the rock rubbing them.
neilnevill 06 Jun 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:

Okay, many thanks for the advice.
Sarah G 07 Jun 2010
In reply to neilnevill:
I concur with all of the above.....I chuck mine in a pillowcase to help protect it abit from being bashed around in the washing machine drum, and prevent tangling (love the idea of chainlinking).

The only thing I would add is that I tend to drape mine over the top of the spare bed or hang it over the end of the double bedstead in my own room.

Sx
 Steeve 07 Jun 2010
In reply to neilnevill:
did anyone else find that video hilarious?
"this is also a muscle exercise, its working your forearms. if anyone hits you on the forearms in martial arts you'll be more resilient"
wtf?

neilnevill 07 Jun 2010
In reply to neilnevill:
yeah a bit odd that...still it showed me what I wanted to know.

Rope was shoved loosely flaked inside a pilow case which I knotted closed, washed with soap flakes at 30C on the wool cycle, given an extra rinse then chainlinked and laid out on a towel on the dining room floor. Seems fine, still has it's middle marking and seems to be drying fairly well so thanks for the adivce.

I'll undo the chainlink tonight and just lie it flat for another day or so until it dries completely.
 Jonny2vests 07 Jun 2010
In reply to Steeve:
> (In reply to neilnevill)
> did anyone else find that video hilarious?
> "this is also a muscle exercise, its working your forearms. if anyone hits you on the forearms in martial arts you'll be more resilient"
> wtf?

Yeah, yanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...