UKC

Climbing courses in New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dj rivum 20 Jun 2010
Hi all

Im heading over to New Zealand shortly and ill have about a week free in which id quite like to do some climbing. Im flying into Auckland and ill be on my own but im quite willing to travel around.

Has anybody any experience and can recommend any courses / guides / companies for over that side of the world?

At the mo im climbing around Scottish grade III , alpine about PD

Cheers
Martin
 Krumme 20 Jun 2010
In reply to dj rivum: Check out Ht... and Http://www.Mojozone.co.nz
When I lived in Auckland the NZ alpine club- auckland department http://www.aucklandclimber.org.nz/index.htm ) had some meeting now and then. contact those guys and get out climb instead of taking a course!

Enjoy!
Kasper
 mileshill540 20 Jun 2010
In reply to dj rivum:

Although based on south island Adventure consultants are spot on an decent guys, worth giving them a call.
 KiwiPrincess 20 Jun 2010
In reply to dj rivum:

In the North Island Taranaki has some guides

To do a course unless there is one on through a club You may need to head south to Aoraki/Mt Cook., Or Queenstown, Wanaka. There are many good guiding companies. Alpine guides, adventure consultants, Aspiring guides( jagged globe partner) etc

I have used both aspiring and adventure consultants and both were good.
 cuthill76 21 Jun 2010
In reply to dj rivum:

Not sure what you want to do but if it is more in the rock climbing line as opposed to high peaks stuff then 'Wanaka Rock' might be worth a look.

Myself and my girlfriend did a multi pitch climb with them in the Remarkables in Jan. We found the owner Dave, an American, a nice guy and had a great day out.

Thanks,
Iain
 Rampikino 21 Jun 2010
In reply to dj rivum:

Get down to Wharepapa South (2 hours south of Auckland by car) and see Bryce Martin - he will look after you.

Google Bryce's at Wharepapa for all the contact details, or email me if you need more help.
 nz Cragrat 21 Jun 2010
In reply to dj rivum:

Where will you be for that week? Around the North Island? South Island?
 ben b 23 Jun 2010
In reply to dj rivum: Quite a lot of snow about currently - QT was pretty much mayhem driving around today after a few inches of snow! What were you after? - getting quite wintry....
b
OP dj rivum 23 Jun 2010
In reply to ben b:
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Im flying into Auckland to meet some people about a week later, leaving me a week to do what I want. If there are winter conditions to be had id love to get involved, Sounds like I need to be heading to the south island to do some of the that and perhaps grab a peak or two.

Having never been to NZ what would be the best way to get down that way? Maybe I can change where I fly into and then worry about how im getting to back to Auckland...mmm...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...