UKC

Soft SHell Trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Milesy 07 Aug 2010
Can anyone suggest some pairs of decent soft shell trousers for the alps?

What about something like the Rab vapour rise?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-vapour-rise-trail-mens-trousers-p131349

Or are they too thin still?
In reply to Milesy:

Fine, I would have thought although consider taking some tights and w/proof overtrousers for flexibility too.

Light colours are also something to think about to reflect the hot sun on walk ins - or wear shorts.

RPG
In reply to Milesy: I find schoeller fabric works well in the alps. I've got a pair of Mammut trousers that I've had for over 10 years and apart from a couple of spots that I've had to patch because of crampon damage they are still going strong. I don't feel the need to wear long johns under them in summer although I do in winter.

Al
 pyrrho101 07 Aug 2010
In reply to Milesy: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/bionnassay-trousers-8279384/

Guides wear then, climbers wear them. Super tough, great features (like the long vents), and very cheap.

[It pains me to say it, but versus my £150 Mountain Equipment soft shells, I go for the Quechua ones every time]
 vincentvega 07 Aug 2010
In reply to Milesy:

Yeah, for summer alpinisim you wont need anything thick.
You also tend to be constantly moving in the alps, (unless you plan on climbing something super hard with many pitches!) so personaly you never get too cold.
The only time I have felt cold in the summer was on the summit of Blanc. But thats a lot higher than the majority of surrouding routes.

Take some long johns if your concerned, but you will probably soon ditch them!

Allan
In reply to tradlad:
> (In reply to Milesy) I find schoeller fabric works well in the alps. I've got a pair of Mammut trousers that I've had for over 10 years and apart from a couple of spots that I've had to patch because of crampon damage they are still going strong. I don't feel the need to wear long johns under them in summer although I do in winter.
>
> Al

I don't carry over trousers either as this fabric dries out very quickly.

Al
 Kyle Warlow 09 Aug 2010
In reply to Milesy:
I can strongly recommend the Lowe Alpine Ascent Pant. They are awsome! Super comfortable, tough and an excellent water repellency.
I work in the trade so get to speak to the company reps quite regularly. I got my hands on a few from all brands and the Ascent Pant were by far the best!

Apparantly, lowe alpine send stuff they want tested to Andy Parkin, Alpinist and Artist, famous wold over for both. If anyone is gona break something in a season he will!

Well he coudnt break these! he loved them apparantly, and after getting my hands on some i can see why.

Thats my opinion anyway

MG 09 Aug 2010
In reply to Milesy: I use Tracksters for pretty much everything. <£15 but about minus 2 million style points. However, since I also use a Buffalo I am probably beyond help on the style front.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...