UKC

PyB Fast Track Instrucotor, is it for me?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phippsy 08 Aug 2010
I have done plenty of recreational trekking, hill walking and climbing.
Have even done a month trekking with Nols in the rocky mountains and was recomended to do an instructor course with them. (way to far and want UK quals)

I also did outdoor education at college, it wasnt really what I'd expected, but it did mean I got experience going and leading small groups of kids. But i really want to take out older/more advanced groups.

Friends of mine have/are doing outdoor education at degree level, but I dont think this is the path for me. The fast track course looks like a similar thing, just without all the essays and alot cheaper/faster.

Anyone done it? Do you think I should??

Thanks, Greg

In reply to Phippsy: I can't vouch for it as I never done it but when I asked on here last year there were no positive replies about it. Seems a bit expensive for what you can acheive from it quals wise. I will try to link to the thread for you.
OP Phippsy 08 Aug 2010
In reply to Pittsburgh Windmill:

Cheers man, tthats a big help.

Just out of interest, what did you end up doing in the end? recomend anything?
In reply to Phippsy: No I didn't do anything towards quals mate, around the same time I started my own business and it has been very sucessful so far and taken up most of my time. Good luck man! (and if possible post results of your success as I still want to do it eventually)
In reply to Phippsy: As far as recommending something I would say the NightW*tch scheme at Glenmore Lodge is best if you have the time. With a mortgage and long term partner it was not an option for me. I've met some folk out climbing who recommend it.
 Luke01 08 Aug 2010
In reply to Phippsy: It seems that people get confused between the various schemes.

The fast track (4 months) is good for going in with little or no quals and purely working to get them; The CA scheme (15 months) is good for little/no quals and working towards them and getting some experience with groups; The instructor scheme (9 months (used to be AI)) is good for going in with MIA training or paddling equivalent and getting loads of experience and the assessment done.

These are all a bit flexible and there is an interviewing process, there's always people with different quals on each scheme.

I'm not too familiar with the NW at the lodge but I think it's like the CA but without the experience leading groups. Just phone the lodge in the evening and one of them will answer if you want to ask them about it.

Hope this helps.
Luke
OP Phippsy 09 Aug 2010
In reply to grit-addict:

That's great help thanks, just one question. Whats the CA scheme? it sounds as if the fast track is for me at the moment.
cheers, Greg
 Luke01 09 Aug 2010
In reply to Phippsy: Centre Assistant. General work around the centre with plenty of time to get out on courses etc.
jayray 09 Aug 2010
In reply to Phippsy:

I looked at PYB when I first started out, but its expensive and you don't gain the experience of leading or teaching a group as you would being an apprentice. I ended up getting my qualifications by volunteering at an outdoor centre which helped when I went on to do a degree. You can easily get a job in the outdoor activity market working with kids, but for leading expeditions and running training courses, experience goes a long way. Good luck with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...