UKC

1937 primus stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 harry-shutler 09 Sep 2010
I just found an old 1937 primus stove, still in all the original metal tin, and still looks in pretty good condition. Does anyone know how much something like this may sell for?
Any help would be much appreciated

Harry
In reply to harry-shutler:
Oh! Just found it ah! Was it by sour milk Gill,. I think I left a stove in 1837
Try e bay
OP harry-shutler 11 Sep 2010
In reply to google: It used to belong to my grandad, we found it while clearing out the garage. I was thinking about putting it on eBay but I don't want it to sell for less than it's worth. Also just found out it stilll works and still has peterol from the last time it was used.
 pog100 11 Sep 2010

Primus usually use(d) paraffin, be careful if you put petrol in. I still have my stove from the 70s, they are quite functional.
 owen1988 11 Sep 2010

http://www.valuemystuffnow.com/

saw this on dragons den a week or two ago.
 ScraggyGoat 11 Sep 2010
In reply to owen1988:

I'd hang on to it. Don't think it will have great value, tens of thousands of the were produced, and the (good) design remained very similar for decades

Keep an eye out for all the accessories, which if I remember will be a little metal meths bottle for priming, a priming windshield, small spanner, the jet-pricker, spare leather pump washers, brass screw caps for tank and pump ports, metal funnel, pan supports/ring and the instructions (possibly also a folding meatl windshield). Also for any spares kits that your grandad may have purchased

I have all of the above, but the tin had rusted in the garage. It still works (well it did twenty years ago when I last tried.......).

Its a lovely piece of manufacturing, and would be shame to sell for the little money you'd get.
 Mr Moac 11 Sep 2010
In reply to pog100:
> (In reply to harry-shutler)
>
> Primus usually use(d) paraffin, be careful if you put petrol in. I still have my stove from the 70s, they are quit

Still got mine from the same time, would like to see if it still works but who sells paraffin these days?
 sutty 11 Sep 2010
In reply to Mr Moac:

I got paraffin from a garage but had to get a gallon at the time. Still most of it in the shed, stove only gets used about once a year when I want to hear that roar, or gentle purr on tickover.

Lots of info here;
http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/17737/

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/
 dread-i 11 Sep 2010
In reply to sutty:
Many happy memories of playing with them and even hiking with them in Scouts. The simple fun of setting light to the stove, to get the fuel to vaporise, before you could light it.

OP: If its been in your family for 70 odd years, much better to keep it and marvel at those who used it, than to sell it for a few quid. This type of stove was used on Everest and all those far flung places you've read about. None of that light weight multi fuel nonsense. Much better to own a bit of history, than cash it in for a few pints and a bag of chips.
 Howard J 12 Sep 2010
In reply to harry-shutler: They are truly great stoves. It's a pity paraffin is so hard to get hold of these days. They can be a bit of a faff to use, but part of the pleasure is in fiddling about with meths and prickers (and the occasional 3 foot high flare-up).

I've come over all nostalgic! I'm tempted to get mine out of the loft and give it a polish, for old time's sake.
 Mario Sciacca 12 Sep 2010
In reply to harry-shutler: ..that's history man..keep it..
 nomisb 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Howard J:

Aye - I've just been mugged walking down memory lane.

Tilly lamps and stoves + scouts = 3 foot flames.
FiendishMcButton 13 Sep 2010
In reply to Mr Moac:

You can get paraffin from www.gooutdoors.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...