UKC

Hole in alpine rucksack, any ideas on how to fix it please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrusht84 14 Sep 2010
I have a Marmot matterhorn 30 with a slight tear in the front only around 4mm but I could do with it not getting any bigger, does anyone have an idea of what I could use to patch it up, I have considered super-glue but thought it may burn through the material. I have so far patched it with duck tape but to be honest its not really up to the job.
any reply will be welcome,
cheers andy.
 Barrington 14 Sep 2010
If it's onl 4mm; Darn it with tent thread (won't rot), then seal it with seam-sealant. Job done.
 Andy DJ 14 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84: needle and thread? Polyester thread!
In reply to andrusht84: Take it to a shop that repairs stuff? Probly cost you about a tenner. Or take a bit of outdoor kit material (old rucsac, rucsac strapping, old bit of goretex etc) and take it to a local tailor (not gentlemaen's suitmaker, but the local one on the busy street with local shops on nearby) and they can sew it on, or just sew it on yourself?
 nniff 14 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84:
Seam grip, either on its own or with a small patch of something else to provide additional support
 Toerag 15 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84: You may find that your local sewing shop only sells cotton thread, in which case fishing rod eye whipping thread is nylon and significantly stronger.
 twoplates 15 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84:

i have a rule that says 'if my gear is not on 100% top form, how can i be?'

bin it and buy a perfect one thats more expensive.

or

contact

Garry Gaffa - West Lothian Rucksack Repair and Rescue Centre

He has reams of good advice but his consultation fee's are pretty steep
 Reidy 15 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84: Superglue it back together
 spragglerocks 15 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84:

I had a small tear like that in my Pod Alpine, I sent it back to them and repaired it by sewing a "POD" fabric label over it - looks really good and has fixed the problem. I guess all you need is a decent sewing machine and someone who knows how to use one
 More-On 15 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84:

Tenacious Tape - should be rather better than the gaffa tape...
OP andrusht84 15 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84: thanks for the help people.
OP andrusht84 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Reidy: will that not burn through the material.
 Timmd 15 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84:

From fixing my old Berghaus rucksack supergule doesn't seem to burn through Cordura 1000 or whatever thier best fabric is called, but it does melt/burn through the webbing which waist belts are made from. I've used cotton thread and then dribbled superglue over the top for the lid pocket on my rucksack, and the fabic hasn't melted at all. It's just what I had to hand and the glue seemed like it might make the stitching stronger, so I thought i'd try it.

Cheers
Tim
 alan1234 15 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84:

How about making a patch with something like one of these - http://www.profabrics.co.uk/snap_sub_product_search.php?search=true&cat... (put 0.1 in the box, for example, to get a smaller amount).
 Garbhanach 16 Sep 2010
In reply to andrusht84: Sailmakers palm and needle is good for heavy stitching jobs.
almost sane 17 Sep 2010

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...