UKC

new waterproof jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
penney1990 15 Sep 2010
Hi, Im just wondering what the best choice of jacket would be.
I am looking for something waterproof and breathable. Ideally i would like to be able to use it all year round and for it to accommodate base layers and maybe a fleece in the winter period. I have a decent budget of around 300 pounds to spend on it.
I have been looking at the arcteryx range however i would appreciate views and comments on other brands.

Cheers.
In reply to penney1990: all high-end waterproof jackets are waterproof and breathable (to an extent).
I would recommend trying on a number of jackets as each brand has a different cut to others and might not fit you properly (an important factor when being used for climbing etc).
the best fit test you can do is try one on with the thickest fleece you intend to wear, zip it up and raise your arms above your head as if you are reaching for a top shelf. you should notice little lift around the waist. also stretch your arms out in front of you and it shouldn't feel too tight across the back.

HTH
penney1990 15 Sep 2010
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Cheers for the advice mate... i'll put it into action this weekend.
 Jon Wickham 15 Sep 2010
In reply to penney1990: Definately try on as many jackets as you can as cuts vary hugely. If you are going to be climbing with it then a hood that will comfortably accomodate a helmet is also handy. I would look at jackets from Rab, Montane, Arc'teryx, Haglofs, Mountain Equipment and Patagonia.
 GrahamD 15 Sep 2010
In reply to penney1990:

Personally I'd get something like a Rab latok from GO outdoors for £100 and use the £200 saved on going climbing
 iksander 15 Sep 2010
In reply to penney1990: What are you going to be doing in it? If anything vaguely energetic, get something with pit zips - a far bigger contributor to ventilation than even the most breathable fabric. Will you be wearing a helmet? Try the jacket on with your lid on.
penney1990 15 Sep 2010
In reply to iksander: im going to be doing climbing and walking. i tend not to wear a helmet although i will be doing soon due to a few incidents involving friends of mine.
yelloman 15 Sep 2010
In reply to penney1990: Have a look at Mammut, norrona and Westcomb, there kit is as good as arcteryx and haglofs and certainly better made than the few pieces of kit i've had from mountain equipment. That said i am guilty of not looking after my kit...
penney1990 15 Sep 2010
In reply to yelloman: yh ive had a few pretty good experiences with mammut i'll have a look at their gear again cheers
 GarethSL 15 Sep 2010
In reply to yelloman:
> (In reply to penney1990) Have a look at Mammut, norrona and Westcomb

bullshit bullshit and ok

Westcomb is owned and run by ex arc'teryx designers.

Norrona and Mammut are expenisve mistakes imo
penney1990 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Gaz lord: i must say im rather impressed by your strong views
Im gonna shop about and just see what a prefer regardless of the label
 Superchop75 15 Sep 2010
The new ME Kalanka is an awesome jacket. Should get one for £300 if you shop around a bit
 TobyA 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Gaz lord:

> Norrona and Mammut are expenisve mistakes imo

What do you base your opinion on?
yelloman 15 Sep 2010
In reply to Gaz lord: Pretty harsh statement. Granted that all companies will produce the odd duff garment. All the clothing i've bought from them has lasted very well and i'm pretty bad at looking after my kit. Most of my mates in norway tend to wear norrona and they can't seem to fault it. Anyway aren't most top brand hard shells pretty similar? They're all 3 layer pro shell or event, with the main differences being the fit in various areas. Do you know something we don't?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...