UKC

Highlander Sleeping Bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RKernan 08 Oct 2010
I've come across this while looking for 4-season sleeping bags on the internet.
http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/partnumber.asp?cid=29641&pnid=302134

Seems almost too good to be true.

Are they any good? Does anyone have experience of Highlander bags?

If they're no good, does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap(say £80 or less) bag that will keep me comfortable down to -7 C or so?
I'm looking for something that will do for Alpine summer trips - having spent some time this summer in the Alps with an inadequate 2-season bag (which included a rather cold bivvy at the Tete Rousse "base camp") I'm looking for something light that'll keep me warm at bivvies and also for UK/Ireland camping in the cold.

Thanks!
 Jamie Hageman 08 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan: It's only 30 quid on amazon!
 Jamie Hageman 08 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan: Like Gelert, Highlander are generally the budget choice for cash-strapped folk or occasional users. For the price, I bet it's superb, but don't expect to be warm in -15 like the extreme rating suggests. I would imagine you'll feel the cold in -5 in it, but I'm only guessing.
 Dribble223 08 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan:

Sleeping bags are an odd item to buy - above £150 price generally relates more to the brand name than the bag, its easy to waste a lot on a little.

With cheap bags its the opposite, you can pay little for a bag that promises a lot, but doesn't deliver. Generally these bags use either cheap low quality down, or cheap low quality synthetic insulation, and do not wear to well. Ideal for car camping in summer but generally you won't get much more under ~£75.

If you max budget is around £80, look at the Mountain Hardware Lamina range (I'm sure you can get one for between £80 and 130 depending on the temp range you require)- they are an absolutely awesome range of laminated synthetic bags. Low weight and bulk, hard wearing and really will deliver in even the worst of conditions.

Hope this helps

Ben
 sjminfife 08 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan: I like Snugpak myself.We have a couple of the higher rated ones and they're great. At just over £80 this may suit you
Snugpak Softie Winter All Year Round Sleeping Bag
sjm
 tim000 09 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan: being a large chap, it`s snugpak for me too.
OP RKernan 09 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan:
Thanks guys, I'm tempted by the Mounta Hardwear Lamina. I'll keep looking.
 Wendy14 10 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan:

iv got a highlander that is a 3 season lite version. i quite like it, i feel the cold alot but only been cold in this once and we was on the top of ben mcdui wild camping but i feel that for price and size they arent bad. obviously there are better ones out there but i paid £24 for mine and it has done the job for me but mine s lower rated than that one, i have the ranger lite i think it is. hope this helped
 cat22 11 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan: We use the Echo 400 bags from Highlander for car camping, and have found they're warm to -10 or so. Great bits of kit... as long as you don't want to carry them anywhere!
 ciaran1999 11 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan:

this is almost exactly the same spec as my £200 northface down bag, down lasts much better than synthetic bags and are generally more comfortable in a bigger range of temperatures.
 trish1968 11 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan: I have a highlander 4 season I love it. It's heavy but great for car camping. I have a expensive lightweight cumlus bag for wild camping it's no where near as warm as the highlander.
 FrankBooth 11 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan:
Extreme temperature is very spurious. My understanding is that with cheaper sleeping bags in particular, it's the lowest temperature you could safely go and survive getting through the night - based on wearing extra clothes and not necessarily sleeping. Alpkit, www.alpkit.co.uk do some fantastic (relatively) budget sleeping bags and base their figures/guidance on real world tests.
 trish1968 11 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan: Forgot to mention i also bought their lightweight 2 season bag for back packing. Rubbish I froze hence the expensive bag.
 popebenedictus 11 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan:

I have a Higlander bag, the Echo 250.
http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/partnumber.asp?cid=29640&pnid=302129

They are quite big and bulky but they're also very warm. I'd say the 250 would be OK for what you need but at 1.8kg its a good bit heavier than the 1.2kg Pac-tec.

nedmoran 13 Oct 2010
In reply to RKernan: I've got the mountain hardwear lamina 0. Had it the past 2 years and used it for a week in the cairngorms the last 2 february's (bothies and biviing). Kept me really toastie. Though i did have to keep my socks on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...