UKC

Modular Sleeping Bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ricky Martin 13 Oct 2010
I’m hopefully off trekking next year and I’m looking for a “4-Season” season sleeping bag. Having balked at the cost a RAB Andes or a ME Iceline.

I stumble across a PHD Minims Combi Bag which with my existing ME Dewline should give me a fairly light –20ish bag for about £100 less than the above bags plus it would be more flexible system. And due to this could be a better option than a cheaper 4-season bag.

Any one got any experience of using one of these bags any drawbacks, anyone used one with a Dewline?
 frankbabs 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Ricky Martin:

Take a look at Alpkit's SH range. I've got their 1000 rated at -15 but will go lower. This is every inch as good as my Rab 900 which cost three times the price!!! One just sold on Fleabay for <£100, an absolute bargain!!!
 thin bob 13 Oct 2010
you've probably seen this. no experience with either bag though, sorry.
http://psychovertical.com/modularsleepingbag
 TobyA 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Ricky Martin: Haven't used either of those bags but I do often use two bags for winter camping if we are not too far from the car - it's a bulky/heavy combo. My biggest find is the fit of the bags in each other is central. I think that is why my ME Lightline in my cheapy Haglöf summer synth bag is warmer than my ME lightline in my wife's ME 3-4 season down bag, even though the Lightline is slimmer than both, the Haglöfs seems to give it more 'lofting' space.
 SFM 13 Oct 2010

Although I haven't used the set up you mention I do use a PHD minimus and a Marmot Wave1 combination for colder weather. Lowest I've used it is just below 0°C and was distinctly warm despite being a cold sleeper. That set up has the advantage of being more condensation/damp resistant than just a down bag. Think the PHD Combi bag has a drishell cover so that should cover that option well.

Main drawback I've found so far is that if you do get too hot it's a bit of a bugger to vent so well.
Make sure that the Combi is big enough for the Dewline as any compression of the down will obviously compromise the insulation. Might be worth giving them a call to discuss how the sizes compare.

ps PHD kit is simply brilliant.
 mrchewy 13 Oct 2010
In reply to Ricky Martin: I use PHD Synthetic Combi bag but it is one from the sales 18 months ago, it's not quite the same as the one they sell on the site now. Drishell cover and a very room cut. I use it with a Minim 300 which has a comfort rating of 0c on its own and if I remember rightly the Combi was supposed to add another 5c. Can't remember exactly but mine weigh around 1400g together but the 300 has a full length zip so I can use it as a quilt in summer - this adds 110g.
I slept in them at -10 quite happily in just pants and socks last winter, depends on how you sleep. It's certainly a more flexible system, the doris got cold in the night and she ended up with the Combi too, I ended up in my big Haglofs jacket and the 300. This led to a peaceful nigh in the end... she'd have moaned rotten otherwise. You can't do that with a normal bag!
This summer I used the Combi on it's own for a bivvy and again for a camp where I knew there was a good chance the bag would get soaked. On it's own it's not the warmest thing but it is a bit too roomy I guess.
OP Ricky Martin 14 Oct 2010
In reply to All: Thanks for your responses very help full sounds like it could be a plan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...