UKC

Biking Aonach Eagach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Clarita6283 17 Oct 2010
Hey did anyone see the guy with his bike on Aonach Eagach yesterday? (Sat 16th Oct). It was a georgeous day, great still conditions - his mates had told him he could bring his bike but didn't tell him the ridge is 99% pushable and only 1% rideable! He was pissed! Big credit to the guy, he managed it all safely way before dark. Well done him!
 deepstar 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:What next Unicycles or Rollerblades?
 Mr Fuller 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283: I saw an Extreme Ironer up there once!
Tim Chappell 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:

Pissed? That sounds dangerous to me. Surely alcohol and cycling narrow ridges don't mix.
 Milesy 17 Oct 2010
I think maybe pi**ed off?
Tim Chappell 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Milesy:

Maybe. Is he a proper American, though, or just a wannabe?
 Jamie B 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:

Is this a piss-take? Manhandling a bike up, along and down the Aonach Eagach is patently absurd; why would his alleged "mates" allow him to endanger himself in this way?
crikey 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283: Yeah we saw him at the pinnacles, yes he was definitely pissed off not pissed as in drunk. He did really well considering he had a bike roped to his back and wasn`t a walker/scrambler and had on a pair of "gutties".
His mates had told him there was a 15 metre climb ( thats why he took a rope to strap the bike to his back ) but apart from that it was cyclable, which was a tad irresponsible.
When I first saw him up ahead I thought what a tosser obviously trying to prove something, but had a chat and coaxed him over the pinnacles and he seemed a decent enough guy.
 Stuzz 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:

Thats nothing! I saw a full rock band playing a gig on the top of the ben yesterday, generator, amps and all!
Mad!
 Jamie B 17 Oct 2010
In reply to crikey:

> His mates had told him there was a 15 metre climb ( thats why he took a rope to strap the bike to his back ) but apart from that it was cyclable, which was a tad irresponsible.

Thats putting it mildly. How would they have felt if he'd fallen? Potentially borderline manslaughter.

You'd have though that he'd have got the idea after the first downclimb and made a safe retreat, with or without his f*ckwit "mates".
 petestack 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

You know that MTBs have been taken to the summit of every Munro? Probably strapped to backs in pieces as often as ridden and certainly in that configuration for the Cuillin, although at least that pointless exercise was undertaken by folk who knew what they were getting into!

Re. irresponsibility of the Aonach Eagach exercise, I agree entirely.
crikey 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
Yes I was using a bit of "understatement" and I also said to my partner that you would think after the first 500 metres he would have realised and gone back.
 Wee Davie 17 Oct 2010
In reply to petestack:

Did you see the bit in the Munro show where Muriel Gray got the mountain biker to try to mountain bike up to the Aonach Eagach? Think it was from just outside the Clachaig. Quite funny.
 GerryC 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:

Would someone really attempt to mountain bike over a ridge without doing any research of his own? Especially having been told by "mates" there was a 15m climb?

Either he is a contender for a not-too-distant Darwin Award OR maybe he is one of life's (albeit rather different) adventurers and was simply trying to deflect on-the-spot derogatory comments from other hill users by blaming his "mates". Cant decide whether to applaud him or shake my head in disbelief..mebbes both?
 petestack 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Wee Davie:

Nope, don't remember that!
 KeithW 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:

Last Monday there were 2 lads doing it in boots, socks and purple Speedos.
Nowt else.
The sight of them bridging up the chimney at one point haunts me still.
 Siward 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Stuzz:
> (In reply to Clarita6283)
>
> Thats nothing! I saw a full rock band playing a gig on the top of the ben yesterday, generator, amps and all!
> Mad!

Not mad- necessary
 Padraig 17 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:

At least he picked a good day for it!!
southspear1 21 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:

youtube.com/watch?v=t-M9dkL2yJ8&

Hi, it was my mate and I you saw. Neither of us were out to prove anything other than to go out and challenge ourselves, we are both avid and skilled mountain bikers that had been miss-advised by friends as to the difficulty of the ridge. The lesson learnt being never take for granted what others may tell you of a mountains difficulty...

Believe it or not we are both fairly intelligent 'normal' people. Both of us realised we had bitten off more than we could chew but by the time we recognised it, it was safer and more sensible to complete the ridge (and this time we sought the advice of several climbers passing by). Once we realised our mistake we carried on with our only option and completed the ridge.

At the very least we learnt a lesson, made an interesting conversation point for others and really did get to test our nerves, plus we made it safe and sound and endangered nobody in the process (other than ourselves).

Others may scoff at our antics or wag fingers at us but it was an innocent mistake, that we took responsibility for, accepted and managed.
 Euge 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1:

Fantastic video...
Love the quote at 2:21 "seriously, what the f*ck man"....
Also loved the bit with the guy going past you roped up, what was he thinking LOL...

Cheers
E

marie_p 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Euge:
The guy going past with the rope was helping out his girlfriend who was freaked out, as well as getting in a bit of moving together practice!

Big up guys. It was an impressive moment to have you cycle past us on there. I'll try and get any pictures I have of you up here!
tuath 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1: Saw you loading your bike onto the car outside the Clachaig in the evening- commented to the OH that you looked like you'd had a big day- didn't realise it was quite that big!!! great video
 Euge 22 Oct 2010
In reply to bee_amazed:
> (In reply to Euge)
> The guy going past with the rope was helping out his girlfriend who was freaked out, as well as getting in a bit of moving together practice!
>
> Big up guys. It was an impressive moment to have you cycle past us on there. I'll try and get any pictures I have of you up here!

My comment wasn't regarding the guy roped up... I meant what was he thinking about seeing the guy with the bike ... sorry if it was misunderstood.

E
 marie_p 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Euge: Fair enough!

I was mental seeing it. We followed them for a bit, being cycled past was the craziest part!
macstinator 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1: we were the lads with the Beagle who passed you on the way up. It was hard enough with a dog let alone a bike!

Liatach next?
 Horse 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1:

Top effort. The video did make me laugh.

There is a long and honourable tradition of sandbagging in climbing, looks like you were well and truly bagged. I've heard it is much easier in full winter conditions.
 CarolineMc 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Horse: Horse I'm disappointed. Figured we'd do it in March... no?!! C-:
 Horse 22 Oct 2010
In reply to CarolineMc:

Why not, hardtails only.
 CarolineMc 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Horse: Splendid.

Now, where did I put my suit of armour...?!

C-:
wcdave 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283: Brilliant video. Top effort guys.
 Denzil 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1: Brilliant bit of filming. Well done on completing it. Just need to do the Winter crossing now - spiked tyres? I can just imagine the comments if the Glencoe MR team got a callout for you though...
Denzil OMRT
ScottD 22 Oct 2010
Excellent !
southspear1 22 Oct 2010
In reply to macstinator: ha we thought about you and the dog a couple of times on the way. Glad left my dog behind that one time!
A few people told us the dog had a fall?

Nickwithdog 22 Oct 2010
Maverick (the dog) did take a wee bit of a tumble, but no problems and he's used to doing that as he spends quite a bit of time in the hills - that's why I put him on his narness for this one. He's a good wee scrambler and absolutely loves it! On another note, what a day - I doubt I'll get to do it again in much better weather!
Raymondo 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1: In reply to southspear1: I was one of the 3 guys who advised you on the best route down and walked some of it with you. (I took the photo of you that provided the close to your video). Neither of you came across as 'plain stupid' or 'kamakazie' I just think you took what your mates had told you at face value with researching further into it. It will simply be a lesson learned. What people probably don't realise is that the bike was light weight and it was broken down so both of you could securely carry it strapped to your backs and apart from the shape of it it couldn't have weighted much more than an average sized rucksack.

Well done on a safe trek across the ridge, but I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it.
 LakesWinter 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283: Cool video and cool idea
sonar 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1:

Far out.

I was only wondering the other day if anyone had biked down Tower Ridge.

Well done guys.
 Jamie B 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1:

Fair play to you; I may have appeared scathing in my earlier post, but that was really directed at those who I thought had given you a bum steer. It must have been a nightmare, but you dealt with it.

With the benefit of hindsight, would you have spent more time studying the map? The contours and hatching kinda tell you what to expect, and you'd also have been able to identify a couple of viable escapes to the North.
 Gareth H 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Milesy: standard practice on here it seems, changing names of threads, pedantry etc.

Good effort guys on the 'ride', its always satisfying getting to inaccessible places on a bike, especially in such good scenary.
southspear1 22 Oct 2010
Appreciate everyone’s comments, there were a lot of really cool people on the hill and it was an awesome day. Everyone passing by stopped for a chat which helped get us along to no end, there is no master plan to do anything else stupid....It generally tends to happen by mistake. Besides all the major downhill courses we’ve done Ben Lomond and a few others in the past.

I’ve fancied Ben Nevis for ages just to be able to say I cycled down it but Geoff (the other guy in the film) and I will do a little more research next time.
 Horse 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1:
>
>
> I’ve fancied Ben Nevis for ages

That one was covered in one of the comics last year, MBUK I think. Sounded like hard work although it seems you have no aversion to that.

Removed User 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Milesy: No shit. They had a rope didn't they? Should be in Rocktalk...
 petestack 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1:
> I’ve fancied Ben Nevis for ages just to be able to say I cycled down it but Geoff (the other guy in the film) and I will do a little more research next time.

Saw some guys carrying bikes up the Ben to cycle down this August and another with a unicycle the same morning!

Milesy 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Removed User:

Did they have a book in their rucksack? Maybe Culture Bunker?

To the original post. Good on them! Climbers have epics and its classed as "good sport" - anyone else does and its irresponsible!
Removed User 22 Oct 2010
In reply to Milesy: I think it is just the boy scouts on here complaining about the sandbagging. Good effort and fine sport to the boy and their bicycles...
Removed User 22 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1: Good effort, nothing like a dose of madness to brighten up a dull evening!
The Ben is interesting, have done it twice now, once in 86 on a hardtail and again last year on a full suspension. Was easier first time round but that was before they did the stone pitching on the Pony Track. Another interesting trip on mountain bikes is the Lakes 3000rs, however I must add we did before I knew about rights of way etc. A good portion of it was ridable, the highlights being the descents from Helvellyn and Skiddaw. We had a short length of rope to lower the bikes over Broad Stand and Lord's Rake and the bogs down to Steel End proved to be real epics!!
southspear1 22 Oct 2010
In reply to petestack: Yea I read the article, its been done a couple of times from what I gather and cant be any more difficult than what we've managed so far!
 petestack 23 Oct 2010
In reply to Removed UserJeremy Ashcroft:
> Was easier first time round but that was before they did the stone pitching on the Pony Track.

Not surprised when nobody seems to like these pitched paths except the people who build them!
 Jamie B 24 Oct 2010
In reply to petestack:

Depends on the pitching. I like the new sections on the zig-zags; the stones are flat and wide. But pitching which uses smaller and more rounded stones, such as the path up to SCnL, is a complete nightmare, especially in descent. I've had to confidence rope a client all the way down to the bridge because of this.
Removed User 24 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Yes it's spoiled a fair few bridleways as well. There are a number of traditional packhorse routes in the Lakes that you would struggle to get a horse over now because of the pitching. They are all do able on a full suspension mountain bike but they were much better before the pitching!
 Jamie B 26 Oct 2010

How much of the Ben path did you manage to stay in the saddle for? I was descending it yesterday (on foot) and trying to imagine how technical and difficult it would be. I'd have thought that the newly-pitched sections would be easy to ride, but the section below the lochan virtually impossible. I guess the other crux is getting it dry but clear of people; first thing or last thing the order of the day.
Removed User 26 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Hi Jamie, First time round I think I nailed most of it apart from some loose sections on the summit and zig-zags, and the rock steps on the traverse down into Glen Nevis. Second time there was a lot of hopping on and off on the pitched sections and again at the rock steps. I always ride with bear traps so quickly getting on and off is no big deal. The worst bits are the drainage channels. On both occasions I did it in the evening (summer) leaving after 5pm - by that time most people are heading off the hill
Clarita6283 26 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283:
Hey there, I didn't realise this topic would get so much chatter - yes I meant pissed off, not drunk, sorry for any confusion caused!

I'd just like to reinforce what others there on the ridge that day have been saying - the bike guys were really cool, chatting to everyone all the way along, taking all the advice given and tackling the ridge safely.

Apart from the amazing weather and the fantastic scrambling it was the highlight of our day and we kept looking back along the ridge to see if they'd made it and how much they could ride.

Going to find that video now!
Cheers for a day to remember guys!
southspear1 27 Oct 2010
In reply to Clarita6283: obliged for the positive comments it was a day to remember! everyone on the day was very friendly, although we could
see some people were initially thinking we were a bunch of idiots (probably still do) but warmed up after chatting with us. As for being pissed off, I think the choice language used in the later parts of the video clip suggest that (that is less than 10% of the actual footage).To say it was difficult negotiating the pinnacles would be an understatement...

the link to the video is: youtube.com/watch?v=t-M9dkL2yJ8&
there will before footage when I get some time if you search for southspear on YouTube you should find it.

DaveHK 27 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1:

Totally brilliant.

Well done lads.

I'd assume you carried most of the way up, rode a tiny bit then carried for ages before riding parts of the descent from the western end.

Intrigued to hear the details.

It will never become popular I fear!

220bpm 27 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1: Thats epic, pmsl. Good effort lads
Dirk Didler 27 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1:
> (In reply to Clarita6283) obliged for the positive comments it was a day to remember! everyone on the day was very friendly, although we could
> see some people were initially thinking we were a bunch of idiots (probably still do) but warmed up after chatting with us. As for being pissed off, I think the choice language used in the later parts of the video clip suggest that (that is less than 10% of the actual footage).To say it was difficult negotiating the pinnacles would be an understatement...
>
> the link to the video is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...
> there will before footage when I get some time if you search for southspear on YouTube you should find it.

Quality lads,your putting some fun and divvyness back into the mountains,keep it up.
 Chris the Tall 27 Oct 2010
> (In reply to Removed UserJamie Bankhead) Yes it's spoiled a fair few bridleways as well. There are a number of traditional packhorse routes in the Lakes that you would struggle to get a horse over now because of the pitching. They are all do able on a full suspension mountain bike but they were much better before the pitching!

Maybe I'm thick, but what do you mean by "pitching" ?
Removed User 27 Oct 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: Hi Chris, Not thick, it's a strange name. It was coined in the Lake District for the technique they use for repairing footpaths. Basically it's setting largish stones/rocks in the ground to provide a hard wearing surface. This is ok if you are on foot but is not so good (depending on how it is done) if you are on a mountain bike, and if you are on horse back it can stop you in your tracks. Most of the old packhorse tracks in the Lakes now have pitching which considering how they were first created is ironic because for horses they are now almost impassable! For mountain bikers some routes are better, but others however are a pain in the arse!
Thanks, I think I know what you mean, although I can't think of any trail in the Lakes where I've noticed a significant problem. Then again, I've only riden in the southern lakes (in recent years anyway)
Removed User 27 Oct 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: It's mostly the higher level passes that have been affected. Styhead, Blacksail, Rossett Gill, Scarth Gap etc. Others like the Walna Scar, Garburn, Burnmoor Tarn are still ok.
> Styhead, Blacksail, Rossett Gill, Scarth Gap etc.

Did Scarth Gap years ago (on an old full-rigid). Been thinking about doing coast 2 coast next year, and trying to work out which of these passes would be at least vaguely rideable. Any suggestions ?
southspear1 28 Oct 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: full rigid? respect! Its so much easier on a full suss (and it doesnt have to be a full-on downhill monster). I have a second bike, specialized enduro its a mid travel xc mountainbike thats not much heavier than your average hardtail but so much easier to live with on descents and in my opinion sometimes easier to live with on certain climbs. Tyres make a huge difference to how the bikes tolerate what you ask of them. Even a fairly short travel bike is soo much easier to live with on rocky or fast descents if you have large volume tyres 2 to 2.5 inch tyres like continental Mountain King, or my personal favourite maxxis minions (or anything in the maxxis range). The tyres volume lets you run softer pressures which takes the sting out of badly surfaced trails on the hills...Although you will notice it on the climb, running a higher pressure on the way up does make them roll easier though. A not, the maxxis tyres with maxxis downhill inner tubes way a ton but can be run fairly safely (as lond as your smooth and dont hit too many edges) at 20psi without fixing punctures every 2 minutes and will give you loads of grip and help stop you getting bounced everywhere on short travel bikes.
Removed User 28 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1: Have done all the Lakes routes on a hardtail in my time and would say that it is only the latest generation of fullsusers that are better. A well built and set up hardtail will still give fullsusers a run for their money. Your point about tyres is spot on.
Removed User 28 Oct 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: I have never done the cost to cost. The nearest I have come so far is doing the Dalesway (on bridleways), followed by Stile End, Garburn, Jenkin Crag, Loughrigg Terrace, Tilberthwaite, Walna Scar, Grassgaurds, Burnmoor Tarn, Blacksail, Scarth Gap, Dubs and the down the Honister bridleway to Keswick. I have also enjoyed variouse loops around the Lakes taking in most passes in one form or another. The only thing I would say about doing the Coast to Coast would be miss out passes like Rossett Gill, Esk Hause, Stake Pass, Sty Head etc if you are carrying muti-day gear.
southspear1 29 Oct 2010
In reply to Removed UserJeremy Ashcroft: Definitely nowt wrong with a good hardtail...If I had the money I'd have one of every two wheeled vehicle out there. The cove stiffee fr is an immense hardtail frame and airborne do some awesome titanium frames, but to do them justice you need deep pockets for high end components. The debate will always linger on over which is better, I think at the end of the day its down to application and, preference. I think weight is becoming negligible (up to certain price brackets) with the components getting lighter all the by the day (although a hardtail frame will always be at an advantage). But it will always make sense if on a tight budget to go for the hardtail over the full suss bike, you will always get more for your money on equivalent priced bikes.

I personally like going as fast as I can downhill, which is why I will always prefer full sussers , they suit me (again I think its down to application and preference). Most of the top downhill guys will train on hardtails though, it forces you to be smoother which by default generally makes you a faster rider...
I also have a bmx in the garage that gets taken out on the weekends as a guilty pleasure and it has no suspension at all
Removed User 29 Oct 2010
In reply to southspear1: Yep we have built in suspension, legs arms etc. so using them every now and again makes sense! Hanging out over the back of a hardtail is always going to be fun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...