UKC

Wearing socks inside out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climbingaddict 02 Nov 2010
Now that the weather is getting too rubbish to climb I'm going to do some walking over the winter. I've got some proper walking socks but the seams around the toes dig into my feet. I think they might be more comfortable to wear inside out but I don't know if that's OK. Has anyone tried it, and did it work?
 Siward 02 Nov 2010
In reply to climbingaddict:
Most walking socks don't have protruding seams for that reason.

I guess wearing them inside out would reduce the localised contact but if your boots are quite snug then a long walk may result in a bit of discomfort/blisters.

Also the insides are often designed to be comfier and wick better (often being loopstitched) than the outsides which are often plain knit.
 imkevinmc 03 Nov 2010
> Now that the weather is getting too rubbish to climb ....

No it isn't
 Clarence 03 Nov 2010
> Has anyone tried it, and did it work?

I have, it didn't. I now walk around M&S picking up socks, fondling the ends and shouting "bloody toe seams!" or "why not just sew a bloody razor blade in them!". You can get flat-linked toe socks occasionally but they are not easy to find so stock up when you get some. For ordinary socks I go to Debenhams and for walking socks it's pretty much confined to the more expensive Bridgedale ranges.
 Ava Adore 03 Nov 2010
In reply to imkevinmc:
> (In reply to climbingaddict)
> [...]
>
> No it isn't

Oh yes it is
Page 03 Nov 2010
> but I don't know if that's OK. Has anyone tried it, and did it work?

i would avoid this radical idea at all costs. i can't even believe you'd suggest such a thing!

actually, it'd prob be a good idea. actually, many diabetic people do this to reduce the chances of abrasion and other pressure related skin pathology.

FrJ 03 Nov 2010
In reply to climbingaddict: I've worn regular socks inside out for that reason, but not tried it with the more technical ones.
I'd be tempted to use it as an excuse to get a new pair and keep the others for camp use in cold weather.
 teflonpete 03 Nov 2010
In reply to FrJ:
> (In reply to climbingaddict)
> I'd be tempted to use it as an excuse to get a new pair and keep the others for camp use in cold weather.

Keep the existing ones to mince around like Alan Carr in winter?
 Mario Sciacca 03 Nov 2010

Have you tried it?

Offwidth 04 Nov 2010

"Now that the weather is getting too rubbish to climb" the main grit season has only just started ?!
 Jim Fraser 04 Nov 2010

Feet like:
- flat link toes seams to prevent abrasion on the joints of the toes,
- wool to provide warmth and dryness through insulation and wicking,
- loop stitch lining to provide cushioning and allow movement without abrasion and blistering.

Accountants do not like any of those things.

There are several makes of good walking sock out there that have these but generally they are the more expensive ones.

Typically:
http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/smartwool-mountaineering-extra-heavy-c...

Ouch! He11 of a price but they are VERY comfortable.

Disgracefully, even the current British military sock does not have flat link toe seams even though the 1980s version did. We can have nuclear missiles but not flat link toe seams. Makes perfect sense.
 joeydurkin 04 Nov 2010

Only to get an extra day out of em.

It sounds as if you're making do with very inferior socks (surely a mistake). For hillwalking you must use loopstitch socks of some sort, and of course you can't wear them inside out. One sad thing is that, while most modern climbing and hillwalking gear has improved out of all recognition, socks most definitely haven't. I have never found anything to compare with the quality of the loopstitch socks you could buy in Zermatt in the mid-60s. Since then the standard has simply gone down and down. Now they divide into three categories: very expensive gimmicky things, with padded areas, different textures - all complete crap; well-made, very good value woollen socks (some of which are rather 'home-made' style loopstitch); and dead cheapo, machine made, loopstitch from the far east that are very comfortable, but don't last any time at all. In all categories now they are going for built-in rapid obsolescence, obviously. All part of the throwaway consumerist society, I suppose.
 royal 05 Nov 2010
Weird, I've seem a few threads like this on here. Despite all the techno talk I swear by the standard military issue socks. I've done hundreds of miles in all sorts of fancy brands and thousands of miles in the military ones and they win hands down. Even if you are unlucky enough to have to wear the same pair for several days or after going through water they still rarely cause problems.
Most issues are caused by peoples feet/skin not being used to the walking and they'd get blisters regardless of what socks they were wearing. It's the same as climbing and finger skin. You just have to be get your skin used to it by wearing your boots/socks around town for a few days before doing any long hikes.
 Toerag 05 Nov 2010
In reply to climbingaddict: I must say that I'm very impressed with 1000 mile socks - the sort with an inner liner built in. I don't know anyone who's had trouble with blisters being caused by toe seams, although they can be uncomfortable.
Herman Shake 05 Nov 2010
In reply to climbingaddict: Bridgedale's have a good high wool content and forgiving shape so can be worn for a few days without funk. Alpkit now have walking socks for cheap with good loop stitch toes (I've only tried their ankle socks but it looks to be the same construction).

I heard the 1000 miles are meant to be good too. Also wash them inside out for less bobbliness and more fluffiness.

If you have thin flatlock seam socks maybe wear them inside the rubby socks?
 Dauphin 06 Nov 2010
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I think I've tried just about every manufacturer and Smartwool have been the best so far - only problem is they disintegrate and I expect more than a couple of months from a pair of socks that cost over a tenner.

Regards

D
Sharon Warner 06 Nov 2010
In reply to climbingaddict: I think that you should wear the socks in the way that is most comftable for your feet!
 Jim Fraser 07 Nov 2010

'Socks, Mens, Arctic' by the Bata Shoe Company were excellent. Pity you needed to put in so much work to get on the good side of military storeman to get hold of them. I havent used the new version but it doesnt look nearly as good. Cheapest tender again I suppose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...