UKC

Nikwax Rope Treatment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
One of The Worms 22 Apr 2003

Has anyone used the Nik Wax rope tratment in anger. I came across it at the Outdoors Show and was very impressed with the theory ........ but what is it actually like. I currently have a 'classic' untreated Marmott Falsh rope so I am very interested.

The only opinion I have is that of the bloke on the Nikwax stand so I'm after any personal experiences, thoughts, comments etc.

Cheers in advance

Mike N 23 Apr 2003
In reply to One of The Worms:

I, me and myself would be interrested to know about this too...
 jam 23 Apr 2003

I applied it to an old Mammot dry rope some time back. Followed instructions quite carefully. The first thing I noticed that the rope was unpleasantly sticky for a couple of weeks and that it was freakishly slippery when belaying with. It handles fine now, possibly because the treatment has worn off afain, but ironically I've not actually used it in the wet so can't say if it's worked or not. Given how unpleasant the rope was to use after the treatment, I certainly wouldn't use it again.
One of The Worms 23 Apr 2003
In reply to jam:

"the rope was unpleasantly sticky"

i thougth the whole point of it was to reduce abrasion by reducing the amount of crap that could get inside the core of the rope. I dont think I'm too convinced about it now.

If you haven't seen this product before follow the link below :

www.nikwax.com/

One of The Worms 23 Apr 2003
In reply to jam:

I seem to remember that the chap on the trade stand recommended cleaning the rope with the Nikwax TK loft wash (or what ever it was) prior to treatment. Apparently cleaning the rope like this means the treatment can be absorbed better and I imagine get rid of that 'sticky feelin'.

Has anyone else used this stuff?

jam 23 Apr 2003

I don't think cleaning it was problem as I spent over an hour cleaning the rope before applying the Nikwax treatment. Used pure soap flakes and a rope brush then rinsed it numerous times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...