UKC

fig4/schmoolz rubber loops on BD fusion handles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KeithAlexander 07 Nov 2010
I see you can buy the rubber loops separately, at least for the schmoolz. I'm wondering if they could easily be fitted to my regular axe handles (after removing the picks) - cheaper, and closer to the real thing than buying the set with the rubber handles. It would be a bit of a hassle putting the picks back on every weekend I guess ...

Any reason why it's a bad idea?
 figfour 10 Nov 2010
In reply to KeithAlexander:

It'd work, but it would be a bit of a bodge, an axe mounting system is something I looked into when I was developing Figfour but I couldn't find an adequate solution, the extra length tended to make the tools a bit unwieldy.

You also have the problem of fixing, there are two options;

Make the loop free to rotate around the bolt (like Schmoolz) but then you need to limit the size of the loop as it will rotate under its own weight if it's too big making it hard to use, this limits the number of larger holds and slopers the tools can be used on, and also reduces the specificity of the training as the shaft rotating relative to the 'pick' is very different to the way you would move with a standard tool.

Fixing the loop (like Figfour) gives you the option of using a larger loop, but requires a more complex fixing system as opposed to a simple bolt and washers, this is why the Figfour tools use custom CNC tooled fitments rather than off the shelf fixtures.

Otherwise I'd say you'll make gains faster training with Figfours rather than your more aggressive Fusions. Figfour was designed as a training tool, not an axe simulator, the smaller griprests are designed to maximise training benefit. Think how big the screw ons at the wall feel after a session on the small crimps of a moon board, the same is true of Figfour training, your tools will feel like jugs afterwards, but nobody ever got strong only climbing on jugs!

You might also find that the wall are less keen to let you play with your own tool as opposed a purpose built tool designed to be used in an indoor wall, but you could be lucky.

If you still fancy experimenting drop me an email and I'll send you out some old style straps to experiment with, let us know how it goes!

Pete (Alpkit product guy)
thesaint 14 Nov 2010
In reply to KeithAlexander:

Hi Keith,
you could always give it a go but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort for the difference in price. I sold a couple of pairs of straps to some guys just last week, not sure what they were going to do with them but most likely something similar. Personally I can think of a couple of reasons why it wouldn't work so good. The straps need to be fixed tight against the head of the tool, this is what makes them strong. They don't freely rotate. You might have some difficulty achieving this with your regular axes and the Schmoolz straps as they weren't designed to fit together. The Schmoolz strap when attached to our handle can take over 500 kgs of loading weight as shown in our video which is plenty strong. You only need a few millimeters of stainless steel to keep everyone safe but you need much more wood which is why I spent quite a bit of time designing the strap attachment I way I did. It uses maximum wood thickness and minimum metal thickness, the parts are not simply an off the shelf nut and bolt - (I wish they were, we could make them even cheaper!).

We also took some time experimenting to find just the right size for the sling. This is no big deal, it could have been as big or small as we liked. We finalised on the present size simply because it works best. We don't believe you should have to loop huge jugs all the time - sure to get started and find the 'feel' but after no time at all you will be sticking tiny slopers which is great fun and really helps with body tension training.

Most importantly you will probably find the angle would be all wrong. A rubber strap is not a steel pick and in order to make it feel like your 'regular axe' the shaft is a different shape so you still feel like you are being pulled into the wall.

Hope that helps! - any other questions just shout..

cheers,
St.john - product design engineer Schmoolz.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...