UKC

Salopette and Hard shell Jacket recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dti 16 Nov 2010
Hi all,

Went to dig out my winter wear and found that my nice hard shell jacket (one of those Berghaus Alan Hinkes ones) has sadly gone missing/nicked during my move in the summer...

I am spending a week in Scotland doing a week of an 'intro to scottish mountaineering' course. I am also spending a week skiing in the Alps in March. I am hopefully moving to New Zealand in a years time so they will get used there for climbing/skiing.

So any reccomendations for a hard shell Jacket and a pair of salopettes that may fit the bill for all of this? Will also hopefully spend some time in Nepal working at one of this High Altitude posts but not sure if I will get something that will fit in with all of this.

Thank you for your suggestions!
In reply to dti: Picked up a Westcomb Revenant jacket last Winter and have been very impressed. One thing is for sure - I'm now converted to eVent as the fabric of choice; the jacket is by far the most breathable hardshell I've owned.

As regards salopettes I'm in the same boat as you. I've got to replace an old pair of Arc'teryx Beta for this season.
 TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to dti: I think coming up soonish will be a UKC review looking at a number of possible systems fitting exactly what you are asking. I'm reviewing the Marmot Alpinist jacket/salopettes/one piece suit which is an amazingly engineered system but it does have to make a few compromises to be so 'modular' and it is unfortunately very pricey. Other reviews will be on an Outdoor Research system and Mountain Equipment one IIRC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...