UKC

Climbing Technology Click Up

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Mountain Works 23 Nov 2010
premier post photo
We think the Click Up is a fantastic addition to any sport climbers rack but don't just take our word for it! Dan Robinson is an AMI member and Director of Real Adventure, read on to see his independent review....

Brought onto the UK market in 2010 this device rivals other such semi automatic belay devices for sports climbing. I have been using the device now for a few months and have been impressed.
The belay device has no moving parts and is really smooth on most ropes. It is designed to be used with ropes from 9mm diameter to 10.5mm. When the load comes onto the rope it automatically “Clicks Up” in a semi automatic* way into a locking position. To resume the normal belaying position the belayer simply pushes forwards on the body, taking in is still possible in the locked position. The device lies at the top end of the scale of grippy belay devices and is intended for bolted climbing only.
*like all semi automatic devices you are still required to hold the “dead end” of the rope.
In the Click Up’s instructions the recommendation is to use a HMS karabiner with a 12mm round bar, they recommend their Concept HMS karabiner with Spring bar which can be brought individually or as part of a kit.
For personal climbing it is really simple to use and unlike other devices, if threaded the wrong way it works like a normal belay device with out the click up mechanism and the climber is less likely to hit the deck due to lack of control. In my experience some devices have the tendency of locking if the climber suddenly hauls up a length of rope without the belayer being ready for it, with the Click Up this happens less often. It is also vastly lighter than most which is a real bonus for your baggage allowance.
So the Click Up has a place on my rack. It is worth testing the device and understanding its limits in a safe environment on a variety of ropes before committing to it on a route. The accompanying instructions offer all of the information you will need.

http://www.mountain-works.co.uk
http://www.real-adventure.co.uk
 Fraser 02 Dec 2010
In reply to Mountain Works:

Might just be me, but I can't see the photo in the OP, the enlarged image on the mountain-works site isn't loading and couldn't find a link to the product on the real-adventure site.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...