UKC

Crux Flak Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 conorcussell 25 Nov 2010
I'm interested in getting one of these but can't find anywhere stocking them in the Leeds area. Anyone know anywhere i could find one?

Or failing that can anyone compare the fit to that of a Rab Latok Alpine in M? Or indeed any other jacket i could find to try on.
OP conorcussell 25 Nov 2010
In reply to conorcussell: Anyone own one of these and care to tell me how they fit? Or know somewhere near leeds i can try one on?
 Harry Holmes 25 Nov 2010
In reply to conorcussell: i have one. i got it from v12. the fit is athletic but not as much as some reviews sugest. im not really sure how to describe it. it fits alot better than my previous jacket made by mountain equipment. the fabric is bomb proof too. hope this has helped in any way. i will be around hull from the 24th to 29th ish of december so not exaclty leeds but if your in the area feel free to try it on.
 oliverk 25 Nov 2010
In reply to conorcussell:

I tried one on recently in a shop in Perth and found that the fit was very generous. I normally take a medium in Montane and Mountain Equipment, and find these brands slightly baggy in places. The Crux felt a bit bigger than this, probably equivalent of a large.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a significant variation in size from one jacket to another given how small the company is.

The design and construction seemed superb.
In reply to naffan: Cheers for the offer but i'm in Wales on the 11th of december so can pop in to v12 and try one on there if i haven't already. Thanks for your help with the fit, sounds like what i want.
In reply to oliverk: Yeh i understand what your saying about the size variations, think i'm gonna have to make sure i try one on. Cheers.
 Damo 26 Nov 2010
In reply to conorcussell:

I just got one a week or so ago, so have not actually tried it outside yet. I agree the fit is not as athletic as is made out in some reviews - maybe gear reviewers are just fat barstids?

Fit was important for me, as most jackets are too tight across the shoulders and back and too baggy in the waist/torso, and many are short in the sleeves. I'm 6' 7" tall with a 34" waist and 47" chest. I normally take an XL, but in some brands an L or XXL. I like Arcteryx jackets because they fit me well, but their hardshells are just too expensive for me to justify, given I wear softshells or hooded windshells for a lot of my climbing.

I have a Rab Alpine Pull-On in XL and while it's fine in the sleeves, torso and hood, it's just a bit too tight across the shoulders and back. I assume other recent Rab garments fit similarly, though maybe their hardshells are cut a little roomier (I was tossing up between the Flak and the Rab Demand, but figured the Demand XXL would be too baggy).

The Flak is very well made, though very simple. It is wide across the shoulders, and relatively trim around the waist, but not as slim-fitting as some other jackets (though they are almost all too tight around the shoulders/back on me). I found the Flak long enough in the sleeves, though the sleeves were relatively baggy for a trim-cut garment, I thought, and I don't have stick-arms.

The hood is good, but adjustment is basic, just the normal rim drawcord and another to pull the hood back somewhat - none to reduce the volume laterally around the head. It's only just big enough for me to wear over a helmet (BD HalfDome) which surprised me - Rab, Arcteryx, Macpac jackets all have bigger hoods. The zip comes up high, covering my mouth, which is what I wanted, for full protection.

One quirky thing seemed to be that the neck opening seemed a tad tight, ie. when the zip is done right up but the hood not on, it is almost too tight. Maybe this is a deliberately tight fit as a weather seal, so I can live with it.

I don't worry too much about pockets, and I often like the Napoleon style, as the Flak has, but I don't like really big pockets, as smaller objects fall too far down and bulge out around my waist. I don't store big guidebooks and maps in these pockets. The Flak pockets are a bit big for my liking, but others may love them.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...