UKC

Petzl Charlet Moser Axar mod/hand rest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sargey 07 Dec 2010
Hello all,

Found loads of info on here about modding DMM Flys, but can't see anything about doing the same leashless mod to Axars. Anyone got any experience of this? Would my best bet be to try and copy the (non-drilling) method of petestack?

http://www.petestack.com/blog/climbing/clippers-and-grip-rests-for-dmm-flys...

Cheers!

PontiusPirate 07 Dec 2010
In reply to Sargey:

SCC of this parish has a drilling based method utilising Petzl Quark griprests - he might pipe up this evening and share his knowledge though I know others have made the same mod.

PP.
 Dane1 07 Dec 2010
In reply to Sargey:

Easy to do..bit of trimming on the grip and drill to add a bolt and the Quark grip fits nicely. 20 minute job first time through.

http://coldthistletools.blogspot.com/2010/09/ice-tool-mods.html
OP Sargey 07 Dec 2010
In reply to PontiusPirate:

Thanks for that, unfortunately I don't really have access to a drill and in all honesty I am hopeless at anything DIY related so was hoping for a less drastic alternative!

I'm particularly interested in whether anyone has successfully fitted the Grivel Slider ones as Petestack did to his Flys? The only issue I imagine is whether the shaft width is compatible. As I will have to order the sliders online I can't really test this without making a purchase.

Cheers.
 gear boy 09 Dec 2010
In reply to Sargey: Axar shaft handle slightly thinner than DMM Fly, you may have to slightly pack it, but more than likely will just bolt on,

Did this with simond Naja which I believe to approx same shaft size as Axar

HTH
 nniff 09 Dec 2010
In reply to Sargey:

My solution involved the Petzl rests, some trimming of them with a knife, a spot of drilling and then some filling with epoxy putty. Then, because i had some, some further pimping with yellow humbrol paint. Finally I added some grivel triggers as a higher grip - tried those as an forefinger rest but they hurt my knuckle and so moved those further up.

They're second stringers to a pair of Reactors now though.
OP Sargey 09 Dec 2010
In reply to Sargey:

Cheers guys, I think I'm going to postpone "going leashless" until the new year as I'm pressed for time, so I may have time to have a go at a drilling solution. Thanks.
 ckm 09 Dec 2010
In reply to nniff:

I've been thinking of doing this to my own Axars, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Have you got any photos of the mods you made to yours, or can you tell me where i need to drill etc, and what style of trigger rest you used, i.e. the newer or older one.

Also, did you think it was worth it? Or am i better off just sticking with the clipper leashes?

Cheers

Cameron

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...