UKC

Gore Tex Soft Shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 k2scott 22 Dec 2010
Has anyone had any experience with Gore Tex Soft Shell?

Can I expect the same level of water resistance as a pair of shell overtrousers?

I currently use a combination of Marmot softshell trouser and Rab eVent overtrousers and find the combination to be a little restrictive.
 Eciton 22 Dec 2010
In reply to k2scott:

Sorry but there is not such thing as a Gore Tex Soft Shell. A true soft shell cannot be waterproof.
 Eciton 22 Dec 2010
In reply to k2scott:

Right! Forgot that Gore Tex has a soft shell type fiber. Have never tried myself, so cannot really comment about how good it is.
 Dark-Cloud 22 Dec 2010
In reply to k2scott: I have one, its just a goretex shell with a brushed like insulating backing on the inside, so its warmer than a standard shell, should be as waterproof:

http://tinyurl.com/38qvcwn
 Ross McGibbon 22 Dec 2010
In reply to k2scott:
I was bought Gore Winstopper gloves as a present and they are terrible. Not warm and take forever to dry once wet - which happens rapidly as they are not waterproof.
If you are talking about the same cloth - avoid! Get warm fleece trousers and waterproofs for when you need them.
Ross
 HarryNewmark 22 Dec 2010
In reply to k2scott: I thought the gore tex soft shell is technically waterproof - they only leak at the seams in heavy rain.
 zephr 22 Dec 2010
In reply to k2scott:

yeah, the softshell is technically waterproof... its not windstopper- which isnt technically waterproof,

allegedly the gore softshell is... not used it personally though.
 Siward 22 Dec 2010
In reply to zephr:

Right, that'll be a hard shell then!

Gore's website says that its a waterptoof, breathable shell that just happens to be soft (as in snuggly, not hard). That ain't a softshell, its marketing.

The 'soft' in softshell means not entirely waterproof, but highly water resistant and windproof, thus being usable in 90% of conditions whilst having the same level of breathability as a woolly jumper (i.e. very good).

A hard shell is, by contrast. 100% waterproof but sacrifices something, whatever the manufacturers say, in terms of breathability.

Here endeth the lecture
manboy 22 Dec 2010
In reply to Ross McGibbon: Windstopper isnt waterproof, it only has water resistant qualities. Gore's Gore-tex is waterproof.
 Dips 22 Dec 2010
In reply to k2scott:
Wife bought one a few years ago and uses it only for skiing. Tried it on the hill once in the rain and it is not waterproof. Soaked up a lot of water making it quite heavy. She is very happy with it for the slopes though.

OP k2scott 23 Dec 2010
In reply to k2scott: Cheers for the info guys.

I am looking at the Haglof Couloir Pants. It sounds like this material maybe good for Ski Touring but not so for standing on a cold belay in the middle of a cairngorm white out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...