UKC

Jetboil PCS Coursework Project

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SophieEmily 27 Dec 2010
Hi Guys,

I am doing a coursework project centred around designing out problems in current products and I am focusing on the Jetboil Personal Cooking System.

I was wondering if you could ask firstly if you own/have used a Jetboil PCS and secondly if I could ask you a few questions?

I would just like you know if you have had any problems (if so please give details, when where etc), any comments generally, and if you think that any part of it you think you be improved/ more or less features.

Thanks.
 Mattyk 27 Dec 2010
In reply to IAmToast: email me.
 wilkie14c 27 Dec 2010
In reply to IAmToast:
Hey mate, I've had a JB since they first appeared. My partner used the JB's when he did the solo row across the Atlantic too. Fair to say we know them pretty well by now!
The ignigtor is the weak point although I think the newer versions have a mod that sorts it. A hanging kit could be useful although easy to fettle yourself. I think you can now get a stabliser for the gas can, the high yet narrow system is a little unstable. Biggest bugbear for me is when you make a brew, pack the JB away and the water residue left in the pot rusts the base of the gas can which stains the inside of the pot. Can be cleaned with some wirewool. More a prob with the gas can being steel that the JB itself.
Shout up for any more info you'd like. I personally find the JB the best crag brewing machine you can get. For bivvys I use the titan pot and a pocket rocket, better cooking options with the titan pot you see.
 KevinJ 27 Dec 2010
In reply to IAmToast:
Like Blanchie14c, I have had a Jetboil for some time and have used it everywhere, on crag days, wild and valley camping, snowholing, and even to brew up in our bedroom in an auberge in the Alps. I have encountered similar "problems", but would say that none of them have provided a restriction on use. After one or two spillages, I really should invest in the supports, but I think that that would detract from the features that (for me) make this system what it is: compact, self contained when packed, fuel efficient, and fairly robust. I have found my personal camp cooking has altered to meet the capability of the stove, but for me this is not necessarily a bad thing.
Anyway, this is a summary view. given your project, if you have specific questions, let me know.
Cheers,
Kev
OP SophieEmily 27 Dec 2010
Thanks. All of this is helpful. These are common complaints and I have had same/similar issues myself. Never really noticed any ignition issues but I shall investigate further.
I was wondering if either of you have used the cooker at altitude?
 wilkie14c 27 Dec 2010
In reply to IAmToast:
Ben Nevis metal box is the highest mine has been sadly. Sould have gave more detail about the ignighter sorry. It's common that they snap off as they sit in a high vunrebel spot. My mate who did the row took 3 JB's in all, 2 out of 3 ignighters broke. The first one he used is still performing faultlessly on the hill and that is after 3 months at sea. There is a market for a JB style neoprene jacket that fitted a gas can, just lifting any stove off the snow/ice instantly improves combustion IME.
OP SophieEmily 27 Dec 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:
Wow that is quite a significant mechanical fault then: I have to pick two problems and that is defiantly one of them now!
I remember an enjoyable 3 course dinner on the top of the Ben, two courses thanks to my Jetboil and quite a few comments from the Ben Nevis tourists.
Snow and ice stuff useful too... I hadn't really thought about that as I have never used mine in the snow or extreme environments.
In reply to IAmToast:
We used a JB extensively while travelling around South America for six months with no real problems but the the ignitor snapped and we had to use a lighter and on our return the wire spreader in the burner had fallen out but the manufacturer replaced it for us free of charge. I bought a new ignitor and replaced it myself. Great bit of kit.
 Reach>Talent 27 Dec 2010
In reply to IAmToast:
The igniter is a definite weak spot, although in fairness most piezo units are. Making the neoprene less flammable would be a good shout (you do have to be a bit special to discover this problem though).
 mrchewy 27 Dec 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent: I'm special then... can you just by new neoprene covers?
 JoshOvki 27 Dec 2010
In reply to blanchie14c:

A little tip for stopping your pot going rust. Get one of them green scouring pads, the round ones and drop one of them under you gas canister. It stops the gas canister getting wet, you have something to clean your jet boil with and it stops everything shaking around inside of the pot.
 JIMBO 28 Dec 2010
In reply to IAmToast: I used a jet boil a couple of summers ago and the mantle got broken so the flame sat too low on top of the gauze holder. This meant the flame heated the gauze holder and hence the rest of the mounting on the gas canister to yellow hot!! This melted the self-seal valve in the canister which (fortunately) cut off the gas supply. I feel it could have been worse and potentially lethal. Anyway - luckily I had a pocket rocket so the adventure could continue (Jetboil was a friends) but it did mean the canister and Jetboil were useless and inseparable since the self sealing bit (after some prodding to work out what went wrong) was no longer good enough to seal the canister.
I think the mantle was rusted and then cracked. This might have been aggravated by modifying the cardboard protector to allow the canister to be stored in the cup/pan part whilst in transit.
In reply to IAmToast: To stop the can rusting problem, I put the can & burner into a small food bag before popping it into the pot.

Running the burner for ten seconds with the pot dry, then leaving it to stand for a while, dries the pot out nicely.

I use mine daily for my lunchtime roadside brew, then suspend it somewhere for cragside brews at the weekend.
 wilkie14c 28 Dec 2010
In reply to morticiaskeeper and Josh:
some good tips for the rusting problem there, thanks. I'm very sure that the ignighter problem has been sorted on the JB MK2, an owner would have to shout up to confirm that though. Anyone venturing out to where the stove is a vital bit of kit sould have an alternative lighting arrangement just in case anyway. I have a fire steel I carry at all times plus I'm a smoker so have a lighter stashed somewhere too.
Despite its problems, it is what it is and its the best at what it does - boiling water, fast.
OP SophieEmily 29 Dec 2010
Thanks everybody who have contributed here.... it is all really useful!
 Jenny C 29 Dec 2010
In reply to rwg:
> ............... the wire spreader in the burner had fallen out but the manufacturer replaced it for us free of charge.

Yes my wire fell out and got lost, but was getting very battered TBH anyway. Replacemnent wire is also melting/burining through and looks like it will soon need replacing after another 2 years use.

Despite a reputation for problems with the pizo ours (an early model) still works fine.

Also had to replace the burner base as it had rounded off on the brass thread and wouldn't attach to a gas cannister - credit to Lyon though that is is available as a user replaceable part.

Love the stove and only complaint is that the mesh on the burner isn't very durable and seems to burn through quite quickly, rendering the stove useless. Mostly use ours in the back of the van like a kettle instead of taking a flask with us, although tall the PCS is surprisingly stable when mounted on a med/large gas cannister (never bother fitting the plastic stabalising feet as they are a faf to attach and not really needed).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...