UKC

Consultation on future of Roaches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerwolf 07 Jan 2011
For those that don't read the BMC website very often, here is what it says:

"The Peak District National Park Authority is asking for people’s views on what they want to see from a new partnership on the Roaches.

The Authority has had nine expressions of interest in its 975 acre (394 ha) estate near Leek, a popular climbing and walking area protected by law for the value of its wildlife and landscape.

The Authority has set out draft objectives for how it wants to see the Roaches protected and enhanced by any new partner, which it has sent for consultation to local councils, neighbours and interest groups.

It is asking anyone with an interest for comments and any additional key questions they would ask of the potential bidders if they are not already covered.

The deadline for people’s replies is January 14 2011.

The final version of these objectives will be drawn up in the light of this feedback.

Following that, probably in February, the objectives will be sent to the interested parties, who will be asked for details of how they propose to fulfil them.

The Authority will then decide which partner could provide the best outcome for the future of the Roaches, including conserving its wildlife, heritage and landscape, ensuring open access, increasing understanding of its special qualities, looking after its farmland to high conservation standards and managing traffic. Shooting rights are specifically excluded.

The nine interested parties are a mixture of environmental and land management organisations and individuals, some proposing a lease, some a purchase.

People can see the draft objectives and give their comments by visiting their website. http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/roaches-estate

Please, if you have any views or opinions that will be of benefit, don't hesitate to put them forward

Thanks

Tom Bond
North West Area National Council Rep
 Offwidth 07 Jan 2011
In reply to TomBond:

Thanks for the reminder as we obviously dont have another Peak Area BMC meeting until after the deadline listed.

The web link didn't work direct for me but it popped up when I put "Roaches estate" in the site search
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes, a stray bracket has got into the URL. It's:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/roaches-estate
OP gingerwolf 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Offwidth: No problem
Thought it was best put on the forums as well as on the BMC website

sorry, link didn't work due to the bracket at the end

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/roaches-estate

That's correct now
 andi turner 07 Jan 2011
In reply to TomBond:

Thanks for the reminder.

Just as an area for discussion of highlight, my two concerns are:

1. "increasing understanding of its special qualities", I wonder how parties would go about this? I'd hate to see the place turn into Brimham Rocks, I bet it was magical there before the paths, information centre and cafe were put in place - "The Doug Moller Memorial Information Centre" anyone?

2. "managing traffic", as much as I hate those busy days when I can't even find a parking space, as someone who uses the Roaches almost everyday I'd hate to see parking fees in place or further widening of the road, or change in any form

It'd be great though if the new owner could have a word with the farmer at the back of the Roaches and his strange developments which seem to continually go unnoticed...
 sutty 07 Jan 2011
In reply to andi turner:

>I'd hate to see the place turn into Brimham Rocks, I bet it was magical there before the paths, information centre and cafe were put in place -

Been something there as long as I can remember, and before NT took it over it was pay to enter so climbers either payed their sixpence or whatever it was or dodged the warden.
 Jim Hamilton 07 Jan 2011
In reply to TomBond:

any idea who the front runner is and what their plans are ?
In reply to Jim Hamilton: no idea
thats just what's been put up on the BMC website
The Peak National Park are very reluctant to give any info out on the 9 potential buyers/lease holders, from what I've heard

and andi: no use telling me, haha! put it on the site!
 JJL 07 Jan 2011
In reply to TomBond:

Thanks for this; I would have missed it otherwise.

To all:
There's a clear expectation that field staff will be needed on site; it's also clear that no money will come form the authority.

Therefore, unless I'm missing something, the final proposals will include a revenue-generating element (I don't think the BMC lease is enough). I guess that'll be fulfilled by parking charges, access charges, additional "facilities" or a combination of these.

Of these, the first seems least worst.
 timjones 07 Jan 2011
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to TomBond)
>
> Thanks for this; I would have missed it otherwise.
>
> To all:
> There's a clear expectation that field staff will be needed on site; it's also clear that no money will come form the authority.
>
> Therefore, unless I'm missing something, the final proposals will include a revenue-generating element (I don't think the BMC lease is enough). I guess that'll be fulfilled by parking charges, access charges, additional "facilities" or a combination of these.
>
> Of these, the first seems least worst.

It does appear that the park are expecting a high degree of philanthropy from whoever takes it on. I guess it's going to have to be a nature trust or some other similar organisation. An individual or comapny would be mad to take it on unless they had very, very deep pockets. I guess it may be of interest to a local farmer for the grazing but would they really want to take on HLS works that are likely to be dictated by the park authority after the deal is concluded, especially as there is a strong hint that the park make retain some of the payment for these works?

In simple terms the park seem to want to have their cake and eat it, if they want so retain so much comtrol they ought to be accepting the work and cost that goes with it.
 Kelcat 07 Jan 2011
In reply to TomBond: Just for my info; I've not climbed at the Roaches for 20 odd years & my memory isn't what it was , but I don't remember a cafe, info centre or warden - when did this happen?
 Offwidth 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Kelcat: On this thread ?
 Grover 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Kelcat:

That was a reference to Brimham Rocks, I believe, not the Roaches.
In reply to Grover: ah, thanks for that!
I had no idea what that statement was in reference too!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...