UKC

Canister Gas in Peru - Can you easily obtain it in Lima?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of going on a trip to remote southern Peru this august.

I'll be using a MSR petrol stove to do the vast majority of the cooking at Base Camp.

However if possible I'd like to take my Jet boil to use while climbing/biving as they are smaller, lighter and a million times easier to use.

Is it possible to buy brand new, unused, gas canisters in either Lima or Juliaca? I don't want refills or even the chance of there being refills.

Cheers,

Tom
 jonnie3430 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Yes. Lima, at the outdoor shop in Larcomar, Miraflores shouldn't be a problem, though there may be some lying around in some hostels as people have left them there. It'd be much easier to get them from Huaraz, Jo's Place does very good rates on ones that have been left by people leaving.

I used my gas stove for everything in Peru, the only thing I'd consider going through the hassle of taking a petrol stove for is melting snow. Canister management was important too, it's easy to use loads of gas by using a cold canister, so on summit day it'd be in the bag with me and my boots to stop it from freezing. Warm hands around the canister help when cooking too, though Andy K suggests a copper wire in the flame then wrapped around the canister which is similar to bomob making, so needs watched.

Why are you going to Juliaca? There's not much there, unless you have designs a bit south...
In reply to jonnie3430:

Cheers that's the sort of info I wanted. How much did you pay per cannister?

> Why are you going to Juliaca? There's not much there, unless you have designs a bit south...

I'm planning on going exploring in the Cordillera Carabaya. Not the biggest mountains in the world, but very remote and lots of unclimbed lines, plus a few minor peaks too.

The plan is to fly to Lima. Get an overnight bus to Juliaca or Puno and then the local bus to Macusani.

Any idea how much stuff costs in Peru?

Cheers,

Tom

Matt_b 13 Jan 2011
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: Tried emailing you but it doesn't seem to work. Drop me a pm.
 jonnie3430 13 Jan 2011

I think about uk price (£5.) Wander from shop to shop to check prices before buying to confirm what is average. If not, I'd figure out how much I thought it was worth, ask them how much they want for it, if it's a ridiculous price, walk away. If not, offer them half, then bargin up to 2/3 of what they said.

I'd get out of Lima quick as it's not a nice place and expensive. Cruz Del Sur is the premier bus service, I'd book a ticket with them to Arequipa, which is nice and a bit outdoorsy orientated (El Misti and Chanchani are close,) do my shopping there (I can't think of a shop for gas!! though there must be one,) and head to Macusani via Juliaca from there.

The lonely planet will give you prices to expect for transport and accomodation.
 Rubbishy 13 Jan 2011
In reply to jonnie3430:

A flight to Puno would be cool - if only to see El Misti from the air. the pilots have a little trick where they dip the wings either side so you can get a good look at the too volcanoes. When I was flying past, they did just this and it was easy to spot the new stewardess and she tumbled from one lap to another.

Try the South America Explorers club in Lima, top of Kennedy Plaza in Miraflores.

Lima is ok, I wandered round with no problems, but it is best to head out as there are some moody parts of it.
 Damo 13 Jan 2011
exploring in the Cordillera Carabaya.

Allincapac traverse?

As above, the SAE should be able to help you source canisters in Lima.
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to Tom Ripley)
> exploring in the Cordillera Carabaya.
>
> Allincapac traverse?

That wasn't an objective that had crossed my mind. Why did you suggest it?

Plan is too spend three weeks at the same base camp Stephen Reid used in 2007 and generally climbs stuff.

I've got my eyes on three unclimbed faces though.

What sort insurance would you recommend? It seems pretty pointless to shell out £500 each on BMC insurance, when rescue would be impossible.

Cheers,

Tom

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: no gas is muche easier to get in the valley
 Damo 14 Jan 2011

From the pics I've seen, Allincapac is an elongated massif with several summits, including some nice pointy ones, that screams out "traverse me", and all at an altitude at which one can still actually climb.

I think IHI still insure non-polar climbing trips. They were good and easy before, so I assume they're still good. You're young, so it will be good value. They have good rescue coverage, but won't cover your lost camera. But if you honestly believe rescue is pointless, as I usually do, then don't bother with climbing-inclusive insurance and just get general travel insurance for when your camera gets nicked in town or prostitutes steal your passport. Everything else can be left up to the will of Cocomama.

http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/incan-mythology.php?deity=COCOMAMA&d...
In reply to Damo:

Hi Damo,

So what happens if I fall through the cornice and smash up my leg. By some miracle, we managed to get me off the mountain and back to basecamp, where we splint it and doss my up with codine. I then get a mule ride out to civilization and drive to the nearest descent hospital, which I imagine is Puno or Juliaca? Would descent travel insurance cover my broken leg?

I see what you mean about the Allincapac traverse. I've looked at it from a different angle now and it looks great.

Cheers,

Tom
 Damo 14 Jan 2011

Given that you were hit by a runaway mule sightseeing just out of town, nowhere near a mountain, and certainly not climbing, and this thread never happened, yes, of course regular insurance would cover you.
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to Tom Ripley)
>
> Given that you were hit by a runaway mule sightseeing just out of town, nowhere near a mountain, and certainly not climbing, and this thread never happened, yes, of course regular insurance would cover you.

Just what I thought!

Do you know anyone who has done this?
 jonnie3430 16 Jan 2011

You shouldn't need to spend £500 on insurance. It should be about £200 for less than 6500m peaks.
 jonnie3430 16 Jan 2011
In reply to jonnie3430:

With BMC
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: no it is much easier to source in yosemite valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...