UKC

Sleeping Mat Advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Southpaw 24 Jan 2011
Hi everyone

Looking for advice and opinions please.

I don't have a tent and have a bivvy bag (ex army)
Last summer slept out quite a few times but only overnighters. This year planning on doing a few more nights in a row.

I don't have any sleeping mat under me. Don't have the best nights sleep but had never thought about getting a mat.

Recently I thought more about it and have decided to get one. Only issue is which one??

I have been looking at Thermarest, Multimat and also Alpkit. Now I would like something that could be used all year round and like the feel of the self inflating mat BUT as I don't have a tent punctures are a possibility.

I was considering a Thermarest Ridgerest but are there any suggestions for a HARDWEARING self inflating mat. Or even something else you can suggest?

I like the idea that the self inflating mats compress down better than carrying a rollup mat.

I have been looking for possible military mats and found a Multimat Military Trekker 25 self inflating mat. I'd assume they would have something tough!

So I'd like something that compacts down to go in rucksack,is discreet in colour so blends into the surroundings so I can wildcamp easily and is tough enough so that it isn't constantly punctured oh and is a reasonable price.

Any ideas? All ideas and opinions appreciated. Thanks
 The Lemming 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Southpaw:

Personally I just buy foam mats that cost about a fiver when I'm traveling light. And when camping I've got a coalman's self inflating mat. Not expensive but does the job very well.

Dr.Strangeglove 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Southpaw:
I use a 3/4 length thermarest inside an old military bivi - has worked fine for me although potentially reduces breathability a bit.

put rucksack under feet

sargy 25 Jan 2011
I've had tried various sleeping options. Had a Thermarest that once got destroyed by sleeping too close the fire. Another one got punctured by a crampon when bivvying in the Alps.

I've now resorted to a Thermarest Ridgerest, which is indestructible. Its also far warmer when camping on snow/ice than a self-inflator. Its bulky but is normally just gets strapped to the side of my sack no probs. I also have a cheap and cheerful Alpkit sleeping mat which was about £20 which I use when weight isn't an issue, and I wouldn't be so fcuked if I managed to puncture it. Again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...