UKC

Belay device for Beal Joker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d80f0u 09 Feb 2011
About to buy a Beal Joker but I've heard that some belay devices are not suitable. I've got quite an old Black Diamond ATC and a Wild Country VC - am I best with a different device? Any recommendations?

Ta!
 escalator 09 Feb 2011
In reply to d80f0u:

I like the title of your thread, straight to the point.

I use two Jokers whilst guiding and belaying, for this I use a Reverso3; it works fine. As you would expect the Joker is quite slick anyway, but there is still a fair deal of control to be had.

Actually, I was out on a multi-pitch this evening, and ended up abbing on a single Joker, it was alright and even though I had backed it up with a prussic I still felt safe and in control.
 sleavesley 09 Feb 2011
In reply to d80f0u: should be fine with those, they are both fine with using a 9.1mm rope
I have a Petzl reverso which is fine with single ropes past 8.9mm according to manufacturer.
BD ATC Guide according to instructions is for 7.7mm >
VC and VC pro are all fine with a beal joker too.
Use them or splash out on new belay its up to you!
 sleavesley 09 Feb 2011
In reply to sleavesley: that should of said reverso 3 as above!!
That and the BD ATC guide are very familiar with design but the instructions favour the BD on skinny ropes as above.
Carl Banham 09 Feb 2011
In reply to d80f0u:

I use both of the above (BD ATC and VC pro) and it seems fine.
 TobyA 09 Feb 2011
In reply to d80f0u:
> About to buy a Beal Joker but I've heard that some belay devices are not suitable. I've got quite an old Black Diamond ATC and a Wild Country VC - am I best with a different device? Any recommendations?

I use a Reverso 3 or an ATC Guide with my Joker - both handle it as a single just fine, including in autoblock mode. I would be a bit reticent about using it single with the classic ATC - I stopped using mine a decade ago after deciding it was too slick for my taste on thinner ropes.

Of course if you are using it as a one half of a double rope system I reckon it would be just fine with anything.
OP d80f0u 10 Feb 2011
In reply to d80f0u:

Thanks everyone for your advice, probably about time I updated my 'classic' ATC anyway, so I think I'll go with the ATC Guide!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...