UKC

Climbing Areas in New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ahab 10 Feb 2011
Thinking about doing a years work in new zealand. Have never been before and know little about the country beyond hearing of castle hill and having watched lord of the rings. I wanna base myself in a city where I can have easy access to climbing, but is also big enough to have a good time, meet people etc.

Any advice?
nedmoran 10 Feb 2011
In reply to JohnBramwell: Can't offer much advice, but did some work for a couple the other day who lived over there for 7 years. He was a tradesman and his wife a catering manager. They worked 7 days a week and still couldn't afford things such as beef and chicken. They say everything was really expensive(some things 4x as much) compared to over here. The fellas work dried up and they were given 42 days to leave the country.
Having said all this, they still enjoyed thier time there(but wouldn't go back) and it is one of the places i would like to live.
 KiwiPrincess 10 Feb 2011
In reply to JohnBramwell:

Auckland- has one small quarry in the city and largely you will travel 3= hours every weekend to climb

Wellington- has some bouldering 1 hr= out of town. 4 hrs to climbing

Christchurch- has small crags in town but awesome climbing 1 hr out and is accesible to skiing etc too

Dunedin- has good climbing

I live in Queenstown but it's small 25,000 locals , and as many tourists again any given day. So it would depend on your Profession.

Taupo is another town that has climbing

Check out Mojozone.co.nz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...