UKC

Ban-Y-Gor: rubble bulldozed over the crag top

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Dyer, BMC 15 Feb 2011
I have just had a call from the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust who own and manage Ban-Y-Gor Rocks (in the Wye Valley), to advise that a considerable amount of rubble has recently been bulldozed off the top of the crag. Climbers should excercise extra caution when using the site as some of this rubble is likely to have settled on ledges and been caught up in cliff face vegetation. More info here: http://thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=4132

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (English Regions)
Removed User 20 Feb 2011
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

I've been to BYG today and couldn't find any evidence of rubble on or near any of the cliffs from The Mushrooms Walls to Accuracy sector, although I didn't go as far as Wye Sector or The Terrace.

I took the opportunity to fulfil a promise to Mr Jenkin and cleaned the half height ledge from Muddy Waters to Pet Cemetery. There may be some spiky debris on the ledges and holds below...
 Rick Sewards 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

Thanks very much for posting the warning Rob, and a big thank you to Kevin from the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust, both for reporting this and taking action to prevent it happening again.

In reply to Gmico
Thanks - I also had a look along the crag yesterday. I couldn’t see anything obvious but I did wonder if there was some fresh rockfall in the Ladder Gully area – certainly the Escarpment looked OK and from what you say it sounds like the Main Cliff (at least as far as the Accuracy sector) is OK too.

I will try to establish from Kevin where the debris came down, and will post again when I find out more

Cheers

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...