UKC

Compass alternatives to Silva

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 21 Feb 2011
I'm getting a bit peed off with their build quality and might do the unthinkable and buy something other than a Type 4.

Any reccomendations? A good size base-plate is critical, plus easy-turning bevel and an absence of gimmickry. Oh yes, and not falling apart while I'm working with a Skills group would be a plus.
 sleavesley 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: not sure if this fits your requirements - quite pricey mind!

http://www.rockandrescue.co.uk/outdoor-c2/military-field-c58/field-accessor...
OP Jamie B 21 Feb 2011
In reply to sleavesley:

Never been sold on sighting compasses.
 Col Kingshott 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Not personally used one, but an MIC friend recommends these very highly.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Suunto-Compass-A30L.html

Col.
 eschaton 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: just out of interest, what is it about the build quality you dont like?

and whhat other options are there apart from recta?
OP Jamie B 21 Feb 2011
In reply to eschaton:

> just out of interest, what is it about the build quality you dont like?

It seems to have reduced. I've had numerous issues with them in the last 3/4 years and others have too. Having one fall to bits in my hands while instructing students on how to take a bearing was kinda the last straw!
 lithos 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

ive got a sunto and its pretty good, just a basic one (i also have silva - but friends fell apart on us a few weeks back in snowdonia !) feels really well built and is good to use,
 Stuzz 21 Feb 2011
In reply to lithos:

I've had my type 4 come apart in my hand before as well. Thankfully i managed to get it back together and it seems to have been fine since but its not exactly confidence inspiring!
m0unt41n 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Moscow Compasses:
http://www.moscompass.ru/mc/index-en.html
can get them from Compasspoint online and others.
They do very fast setting and stable versions, like the Silva JET but cheaper and I think better.
Their Thumb compass is brilliant, has a full graduated housing so you can set bearings, but still have the benefit of a thumb compass.
 petestack 22 Feb 2011
In reply to m0unt41n:
> Their Thumb compass is brilliant, has a full graduated housing so you can set bearings, but still have the benefit of a thumb compass.

Use a Moscow 3L for hill running myself (and, yes, it's great!), but think Jamie's looking for something with a regular-shaped baseplate. Have also found the top of the dial to be marking up far quicker than my Silvas although it hasn't so far detracted from its usability.

m0unt41n 22 Feb 2011
In reply to petestack: Moscow compasses also do a regular baseplate which will take the normal compass housing, Compasspoint online have quite a few variations of this.
I use the Silva Jet 1 because the scales are interchangeable and a lot more precise than normal compass scales. Housing is stiff though.
 lithos 22 Feb 2011
In reply to Stuzz:
the liquid all came out - bloody hard to use without it (just possible). we got mine out to use.
 beardy mike 22 Feb 2011
In reply to lithos: I've had the same twice now...
 Taurig 22 Feb 2011

After reading about these problems with Silva quality I got a Recta DT 420, was only £16 or something from Amazon.

http://www.recta.ch/en/dt-420

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to navigation, but since buying it I've had to rely on it once in crappy weather on a plateau and I couldn't have asked for better. Nice size, grippy pads on the bottom, smooth turning bezel, easy to use with gloves and after a quick blast with a headtorch it glows quite nicely too.
 A Reid 22 Feb 2011

I just send them back to the Silva UK distributor when numbers wear off or if I get a bubble in one. I've sent a few back over the last few years.

They normally just send me a brand new compass.
 JamButty 22 Feb 2011
In reply to A Reid: Yes, I believe any problems with silva and they'll replace them without question. I still think Silva are better than the other options
 JamButty 22 Feb 2011
In reply to Fawksey: Wow for that price, hope it includes the helicopter to take you to your grid!
 petestack 22 Feb 2011
In reply to m0unt41n:
> (In reply to petestack) Moscow compasses also do a regular baseplate which will take the normal compass housing

Yes, I know, but thought you might be trying to convert Jamie to thumb compasses when he's looking for something squarer!

lithos 22 Feb 2011
In reply to A Reid:

is that a life time guarantee ?
 Herdwickmatt 22 Feb 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: My wife has a Moscow thumb compass and that is quick and excellent build quality. Superior in all ways.
m0unt41n 22 Feb 2011
In reply to Herdwickmatt:
> (In reply to Jamie Bankhead) My wife has a Moscow thumb compass and that is quick and excellent build quality. Superior in all ways.

and the compass?
 A Reid 22 Feb 2011
In reply to lithos: Think it's 5 years. But might be worth checking with them.
 GarethSL 22 Feb 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: The brunton pocket transits are pricey and more of a scientific tool than anything. However brunton compass' are good and they do have a range of simpler designs.
Mither Tap 22 Feb 2011

Take a look at the Silva Jet S1

The Jet series compasses have a wider needle that's far more stable than a standard Silva needle.

This compass is actually an Orienteering compass, so it's easy to use (at speed). The only down side is it's not cheap. I have one and its now become my hill compass as well. Expensive but very good item of kit.

I also have a Moscow thumb compass, which is ok, but if the quality of it is anything to go by, I don't think I'd be keen to rely on one of their other compasses as a hill compass to last years of use.
workblowschunks 22 Feb 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Hi, get a Suunto M3. I had the same one for over ten years. Really easy to use in winter because of the big chunky bezel. http://www.suunto.com/en/Products/Fieldcompasses/SUUNTO-M-3/
on a far off mountain 22 Feb 2011
In reply to A Reid: Who do you normally send your compasses back to out of interest? I'm not quite sure to send my duff one. I keep having issues with my compasses, i have had several have a complete pole reversal and after the first time I have been incredibly careful about not putting them anywhere near phone/gps/camera etc. The other week I had a bit of an interesting problem on the Cairngorm plateau in a whiteout, the needle stopped swinging almost like the liquid had frozen, yes I know that shouldn't be possible. I had checked my compass in the car park to check that it was swinging/still pointed north, got up there and it stopped working so whipped out my spare, then had a look when I got off the hill and it had started swinging again so completely baffled. I obviously now can't trust it so would quite like to get a refund since a new compass costs £30! Has anyone else had something similar out of interest?
 A Reid 22 Feb 2011
In reply to canisp:

http://www.silva.se/map

I think this has changed slightly since the last one I sent back.

But I'm guessing it's this place

Silva Ltd
Unit 7, Elphinstone Square
Deans Industrial Estate
Livingston, EH54 8RG
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel: + 44 - (0)1506 419 555
Fax: + 44 - (0)1506 415 906
silva.info@fiskars.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...