UKC

Alpkit down bag proofing thing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nightmonkeyuk 25 Feb 2011
I've got a Alpkit down sleeping bag, just wondering if anyone has had any experience of waterproofing them. Im thinking of that spray-on nikwax type stuff i used to use on my waterproof?

OP nightmonkeyuk 26 Feb 2011
In reply to nightmonkeyuk:
wow, no takers?
 mikehike 26 Feb 2011
In reply to nightmonkeyuk: In what circumstances will you be using the bag.
In a tent, or bivvi????

Why do you feel the need to proof it?

You could take a sponge and wipe nikwax onto the material this would allow drips from a tent to bead off. Some bags come with a DWR treatment.

Would it be possible to lay waterproof clothing over the bag?

just some thoughts

mh
 Timmd 27 Feb 2011

It seems like a good idea, but i've never done it myself with anything down filled.

I think a water proof sleeping bag cover might be enough to stop condensation dripping onto your bag and making it wetter and colder though, as I understand it it's your breath which is the main problem in creating water to drip down onto your bag when in a tent, and that a liner can help in absorbing your sweat.

I think I read about somebody spraying the reproofing stuff onto his down jacket and putting that into the tumble dryer, i'm not sure if a bag would fit into a domestic tumble dryer though.

It could be worth giving Franklins cleaners in Sheffield a call, I think they might offer a DWR reproofing service on down gear?

Cheers
Tim

Timmd 27 Feb 2011

I say reproofing, but i'm imagining that it'd be as easy to proof something as it is to reproof it, i've no knowledge of proofing down gear however.

Tim
 stewieatb 27 Feb 2011

A coating of nikwax spray-on reproofer is going to be better than nowt, but I wouldn't rely on it - if you're actually out on the hill, use a bivi bag.

It's almost impossible to totally waterproof anything that wasn't built to be waterproof, but my mate did treat his DPM combat jacket and trousers with Nikwax re-proofer for cadets and they kept him really dry.

So it'll help with keeping the moisture off inside a tent but you can't totally waterproof it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...