UKC

Mountain Equipment Helium 3.8 sleeping mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Southpaw 13 Mar 2011
Hi

Not sure if this is in correct forum.

I was in Cotswold store yesterday and saw the Mountain Equipment Helium 3.8 sleeping mat. Seems to be an excellent mat and a decent price £45. But before purchase I thought I'd do some research about it. Good product? Good price?

Anyway after looking online it only seems to be availiable from Cotswold. Does anyone have any experience with it and is it an exclusive product for cotswold?
 JoshOvki 13 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw:

It is exclusive for cotswold. I have the 2.5 version, and it has been fantastic so far. For the price I can very much not complain. Packdown isnt as small as the Thermasrest Pro however.
oodledoodle 15 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw:

I just bought one and have yet to test it in the field. seems pretty rugged though, packsize isn't too bad, length and comfort seem ok. I will be using it in snowdonia this weekend so I may report back after that with more useful info.
In reply to Southpaw: I have the 2.5, and I love it. It doesn't have the smallest pack size, but IMHO it's one of thebest comfort sleeping mats around, and it self inflates pretty quick.
 Scarab 15 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw:

Buy it! I always recommend it to any customer who wants a mat, currently, price vs quality its the best buy. I used one for almost a month in chamonix and no probs.
 pyro2312 15 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw: I've had the Helium 3.8 for a few months now and I'm very happy with it, no problems so far. It even kept me vaguely comfortable when I slept on it across the front 3 seats of a minibus.
 Scarab 15 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw:
One note, I havent used it in winter though. Would be interested to hear about that.
Southpaw 24 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw:

Hi Guys well I took the plunge and bought two of these mats. But how the hell do you get them to inflate??

I can't believe these don't have an instruction.

I've tried valve in,valve out but not luck.

And I can't have two duds surely.

Any advice, how long should they take?
 kingborris 24 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw:

I've also just bought one of these and had the same issue. I think it could just be from where they are factory flattened, so they dont 'self inflate' very well. Open the valve and a few lungfulls of air soon gets them nice and firm.
Southpaw 24 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw: Hi

I thought blowing in them was a no no due to moisture.Aren't they self inflating?
 TobyA 24 Mar 2011
In reply to Southpaw:

> I thought blowing in them was a no no due to moisture.Aren't they self inflating?

Don't know anything about this model but I have been blowing up my thermarest for 20 years and it is still just fine. I do store it unrolled with the valve open but unless you have one of those down mats - I can't see why a bit of moisture would do them any harm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...