UKC

Gorges du Tarn - Closed due to bad bolts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abarro81 29 Mar 2011
A friend just told me that he'd heard that Tarn was pretty much off-limits right now as there had been some accidents involving problems with the bolts, and the first few bolts of most routes had been removed until they're rebolted.. Does anybody have any knowledge on this? Trying to find out as I'm supposed to be heading there in a few weeks time.
 jon 29 Mar 2011
In reply to abarro81:

I thought one sector had been closed due to just one bolt failing. Don't know any more. Hopefully Olly might be along to explain things...
 OllieR 29 Mar 2011
Just looking into it now! Will let you'll know asap. Ollie
 Sayon 29 Mar 2011
In reply to abarro81: We were there last month, and there were signs at the base of some routes, but certainly not all routes. I'm ashamed to say my french wasn't up to translating the signs adequately, but I think it did refer to banning until necessary rebolting had been done. I presume this related just to the marked routes, not the sector(s) in general.
 eolmar 29 Mar 2011
In reply to abarro81: Here is some info in french: http://www.camptocamp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=192865.

Quick translation: About 60 climbs out of 600 are closed in Gorges du Tarn. The most concerned crags are: Oasif, Planète Causse, calmez vous, coma idyllique, arc en-ciel / choucatine, et l'amphithéatre.A few other crags have a few climbs closed. This situation is expected to last at least until the end of the year. Also, there are nice crags close by (Jonte,Dourbie).

OllieR 29 Mar 2011
This article (Sept 2010) might be the source of the original confusion:

http://www.grimper.com/News/5360-escalade-interdite-par-arrete-municipal-da...

racodemisa 30 Mar 2011
In reply to eolmar: Also i think it mentions a new topo is out in july...yipee!!!
 OllieR 30 Mar 2011
Rumour has it will also be covered in the next Rockfax guide - Languedoc Roussillion due out later this year.
 lx 30 Mar 2011
In reply to abarro81:
We're heading out there too in a couple of weeks. Just saw this thread and got a bit of a shock. So I take it it is just some routes that are closed, not everything?
OP abarro81 30 Mar 2011
In reply to abarro81:
Cheers for the info everyone. Think we'll give it a try and if too much of what we fancy if off-limits then head somewhere else in the region.
 Alan Rubin 30 Mar 2011
In reply to abarro81: If you do run into problems at the Tarn, in addition to the previously-mentioned Dourbie and Jonte gorges right next door, other excellent areas such as Seynes,Russan, and Claret, amongst others, are also reasonably close and well-worth a visit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...