UKC

New access to Scratchmere Scar (Lake District)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Dyer, BMC 30 Mar 2011
Following a meeting between myself, Ron Kenyon (local BMC access volunteer) and property managers for Marshalls PLC (the landowners) a few weeks ago, a new access agreement for the previously banned Scratchmere Scar in the Lake District's Eden Valley has been formally agreed.

This access very much relies on climbers and walkers sticking to the agreed approach and not walking further than the crag itself, as Marshalls are operating an active quarry to the NE of the crag and are justifiably concerned about their Health & Safety obligations in this quarry.

Further information is available in the BMC news item here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=4196 and up to date access details can be found on the BMC's RAD: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmcCrag/ViewCrag.aspx?id=924.

The BMC would like to thank Marshalls Plc for their understanding and help with this issue and look forward to building a positive relationship at the site in future.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (English Regions)
 Simon Caldwell 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:
Excellent news, well done.
Not a major crag by any means, but very useful when rained off the Lakes!
 Lankyman 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: well done, Rob and Ron. It would have been a crying shame to lose such a pleasant little venue. Does the access include the smaller bouldering outcrop right of the main crag? Any news regarding The Hoff?
 Ron Kenyon 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Karl Lunt:

Hi Karl

It does include the bouldering to the right.

There is something happening about the Hoff - I hope we can get this sorted shortly - and before the Eden Valley and South Lakes Limestone guide is sent off to the printers.

Eastern Crags guide has just gone off to the printers this week for your info - and getting going finalising Eden Valley and South Lakes Limestone soon.
 Lankyman 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Ron Kenyon:
> (In reply to Karl Lunt)
>
>
> Eastern Crags guide has just gone off to the printers this week

Hi Ron - that's a shame. I have a 'new' crag. Just need some willing partners (and a big dose of motivation!).

Ron Kenyon 04 Apr 2011
In reply to Karl Lunt:

Funny I had a new crags with three routes on it and some more to do - but forgot about it until the guide was finished.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...