UKC

Gore-Tex Footwear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
El-Mariachi 01 Apr 2011

Ok,

Enough's enough!! lets get it out there, whats the thoughts on Gore-tex footwear?

Good? Bad?
Hot, Sweaty feet? does it make the foot warm up/sweat or not?
Too expensive? (for a layer of"water-proof" material)
pointless?
marketing gone mad?

views would be great

L
 Siward 01 Apr 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi: Too sweaty outside winter but fundamentally it does not last, it always wears out. A traditional leather boot will outlast its goretex lining many times over- such a lining just allows manufacturers to get away with inferior uppers.

Ridge 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Siward:

In terms of boots, I agree wholeheartedly. In running shoes, which I can trash before the lining disintegrates, they make running on muddy trails a lot more pleasant.
 uncontrollable 01 Apr 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi:

For boots I think Gore-Tex is the way to go.
Merino wool socks help with the sweating issue.

For trainer/approach shoes like things I rather look for something quick draining and drying
 Jamie Hageman 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Siward:
> fundamentally it does not last, it always wears out.

Totally agree. When you think about the amount of abuse a boot lining goes through, it's no suprise that they fail so quickly. What's needed is a thicker/toughened/all-in-one(ie no seams) membrane bootie specifically made for footwear.
 GarethSL 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman: I have a pair of gore tex socks...
 The New NickB 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Ridge:

I don't use them in either. In running shoes it adds weight and expense and your feet are likely to get wet anyway due to the bloody great hole in the top. If dry feet is a major consideration waterproof socks are probably a better option.
 Monk 01 Apr 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi:

For hillwalking/mountaineering boots, I'd consider nothing less. Once I got my first goretex boots I never looked back. Boots are hot in summer whether or not they are lined. Unlike many people, I've never had much problem with the lining being knackered too quickly. Normally, soon after the lining goes the boots fall apart in some way too (especially fabric boots).

For trainers and approach shoes, goretex is great in winter and wet months but less so in summer.
 Jamie Hageman 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Hvit ut:
> (In reply to wee jamie) I have a pair of gore tex socks...

and how do you find them? Do you wear them every time you head into the hills?

GrahamD 01 Apr 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi:

Have to say that having got a pair of approach shoes and a pair of walking boots with a membrane (no choice, really -the boots were the best fit) I'm coming round to the idea. My walking boots really are waterproof which is pretty handy in the UK for 3 out the 4 seasons. Yet to see just how sweaty the boots are in summer, mind.
 GarethSL 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman: I was given them by my neighbour when he left the army. I never tried them as all my boots are lined. They seem like a good idea but I have a feeling they're more for use with heavy snow boots or something.

The ones I have are identical to ebay item no 280397914350 which are nicely lined with soft fluffy stuff. There are others out there made from 3 layer gore-tex but they don't get a good write up!
 Monk 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

I have some Sealskin socks that I got when my (non-goretex lined) Nepal Extremes stopped being waterproof at all. I have to say that they are excellent. They really work, even when the boot is slopping with water. The only drawback over waterproof boots is that the boots still take on water and get heavier. My feet are always dry and toasty though.
 girlymonkey 01 Apr 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi:
I'm definately in the anti gore-tex camp. Sweaty feet, and wears out too quickly. Leather boots that are well looked after do the job perfectly. I had gore-tex approach shoes at one point, and after a couple of months I started to get nasty fungal infections on my feet - they seemed to not let any of the nastiness out. I hate having to get new boots as it's really hard to get boots without gtx lining. Girly outdoor kit lacks the range of options that men's stuff has, and then when you start wanting something really specific then there is often a choice of 1 or 2.
 plyometrics 01 Apr 2011
In reply to El-Mariachi:

for running, (and just knocking about on very rainy days) I think they're great. Particular favourites are the salomon 3d gtx utlras for trail (which last ages) and the inov-8 318 gtx for fell (which dont last quite as long).

this is on the premise you don't fill them with water, but as someone else suggested, they make running in damp, muddy off-road situations much more pleasant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...