UKC

Feet first climbing shoe resole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peterp 05 Apr 2011
Hi,

Anyone used Feet First's climbing shoe resole service before..? I've heard some horror stories about resoled shoes that feel nothing like they did before though I'm not sure which company did the work. Shoes are so bloody expensive now that resole seems like a good option though at £40 with p+p ain't particularly cheap either.

I'll be getting the shoes resoled when they're still in pretty good nic but past their prime i.e. no edge but no gaping holes and not smelling absolutely rank etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
peterp
 Flashy 05 Apr 2011
In reply to peterp: I've had one pair resoled by them three times, though they're not the most technical of shoes and I can't remember how they were when new. Nonetheless I've been entirely happy with their performance.

One resole wore out very quickly for some reason, the rest have been alright. I've never taken them in until they've got holes at the toes.
 mutt 05 Apr 2011
In reply to peterp:
cheshire are cheaper.
 stubbed 05 Apr 2011
In reply to peterp:
I've had shoes resoled but the feel is totally different - I wouldn't bother again. New shoes last longer too.
 nniff 05 Apr 2011
In reply to peterp:

Cheshire do a good job, and of course they feel different - they've got a whole new sole on them. Give it a while and they'll fit in their own particular way, which may or may not be the same as the before the resole. But if you're totally obsessed with the fit being exactly the same, don't bother with a resole, buy a new pair - but of course a brand new pair won't fit the same as the old ones either.

Best to get a resole, wear them down a bit and buy a new pair for outside and move the resoles indoors. When the outdoor pair are worn demote those to indoor and get a cycle of good and worn shoes going. Every now and then I get out of kilter - I have just resoled an indoors pair because the outdoor pair aren't ready for demotion yet.

OP peterp 06 Apr 2011
In reply to nniff:

Cheers for all the tips - I kind of had the same idea as you nniff only having two rolling pairs of technical outdoor shoes rather than demoting a pair to indoor use (my indoor shoes are REALLY bad!). I'll give the resoling a try - once can't hurt and it'll give me an idea of whether or not it's a good plan long term.

Cheers,
peterp
Bahhhhumbug 06 Apr 2011
In reply to peterp:

I had a pair done by them recently (Katana's) & they did an excellent job. So good in fact that I've had my Greens done by them as well. Very happy with the results & the fit appears very similar to the previous fit.

OP peterp 06 Apr 2011
In reply to Bahhhhumbug:
Cheers pal, do you mean Cheshire or Feet First..?
Bahhhhumbug 06 Apr 2011
In reply to peterp:
Sorry, Yup Feet First in Chesterfield. Not cheap but I think worth it.
Certainly worth trying.
 8ace 22 Apr 2011
In reply to peterp:

Just had a pair of resoles back from feetfirst, who went out of their way to get them back to me on good friday in time for my holiday (kudos too to the fellas at APC couriers). Looks like a damn good job they've done too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...