UKC

How long would a head torch survive left out in the open?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RobE 05 Apr 2011
It's so so long since I posted on UKC...and I have bizarre question.

I'm researching a work of fiction and want to hear your opinions on how long a quality, technical head torch would last left in the open in a high altitude, dry snow environment. I realise batteries would soon lose their charge, but can you envisage a scenario where a torch is left, say, a couple of years, pop in new Duracells, and the thing fires up?

Cheers in advance,

Rob
 thin bob 05 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE: don't see why not! as long as the batteries haven't leaked...contacts might get a bit furry, but i've only seen that in ones that got wet.
UV degradation of plastic? grit blasting of lens maybe? the elastic might be bolloxed, but that's probably not integral to the plot?
 thin bob 05 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE:
Hmmm, missed the point about how long.... 3-4 years? assuming a yeti doesn't eat it
 Steeve 05 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE:

If its a dry cold, and a waterproof/very resistant torch of good quality, It should do.

unless its a myolite, then almost definitely not...
 Toerag 06 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE: I reckon it'll work well enough for your story - my old petzl zoom lasted years and that would regularly get wet with salt spray when fishing, probably the most testing environment for anything electrical. I never performed any maintenance on it.
 Brass Nipples 06 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE:

isn't the petzl e-lite menat have a (unused) shelf life of 10 years? So your story line sounds reasonable.
 jonny taylor 06 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE:
I don't see why not. I've known it work with a MR radio which is probably more electrically delicate than a headtorch. One was found on a search having been lost on a previous search in the same area 2 years previously. Just like you say - pop in a new battery and it worked fine, apparently.
 Denzil 06 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE: Dry and cold conditions are ideal to prolong the life of a battery, provided it is not powering anything. Even if it's not a sealed case, the electronics would also survive if kept dry. Torches with electronic switches - most these days (rather than a mechanical switch) may slowly run the battery down (but the leakage current in electronics reduces at low temperatures. Chances are that pop it in an inside pocket, warm up the battery, and you'd have it working again.
 DH3631 06 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE: Years ago I found a zoom underneath the crags on Lochnagar, about September time. It was lying near a couple of other bits of crag swag including a warthog. Most probably it had been dropped off a winter route, fallen a few hundred feet and lay for at least 6 months, buried in snow some of the time. It worked fine with a new battery.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 06 Apr 2011
In reply to RobE: It would only work if in your work of fiction it was peeled off the head of the characters brother, girlfriend, best mate or worst enemy. Sadly if it was just left on the ground or found on a random person it just won't work!

Hope that fits your plot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...