UKC

mountain marathon sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
isaac1234 18 Apr 2011
Im after a sleeping bag to use for the rab mountain marathon at the end of september. what bags do people recommend for mountain marathons>? im looking for something super light, but hopefully reasonably warm... if you can get the two together.
 ben b 18 Apr 2011
In reply to isaac1234: Many, many similar questions on here before - have a trawl through the search function, and look over on fellrunner.org as well.
Super light and super warm is easy but expensive.
Super light, super warm and impervious to all MM weather is less easy.
Lightish and cheaper is possible.

Probably depends on your definition of light, expensive etc. Bear in mind even the warmest bag will still be cold if you are tired, hungry, thirsty, and lying in a puddle without anything underneath you. So factor in also the weight of a balloon bed or enough bubble wrap to keep you warm as well (bubble wrap cheaper but bulkier, b-bed more susceptible to catastrophic explosion during assembly).

I use a PHD Minimus which is absolutely lovely, on 2 layers of smooth sided bubble wrap or occasionally a b-bed if tight on space in the pack. Not too outrageously expensive during the sales (which you have just missed but there will be another prior to september. Some people use 'top bags' which only have down on top, I haven't experienced a night in one but can't help feeling I'd get a bit cold / draughty around the edges in one.

Probably better to be fitter than carry less - I never could do that - just got fatter and compensated with a lighter and more expensive pack !
b

isaac1234 19 Apr 2011
In reply to ben b: Ive had a look at the Minimus and it seems pretty impressive.
How warm do you find it? I notice on the website it gives a temperature rating of +5 degrees but states that it has performed better than some bags rated to 0 degrees (I know temperature ratings are quite subjective).

I was hoping to find a bag that would be suitable for the race but also good for general UK spring, summer, autumn camping use, maybe even for summer apline use as well. Im hoping that this bag will fit the bill!
 ben b 20 Apr 2011
In reply to isaac1234: Well, I used it on the Langholms KIMM a few years back that was most memorable for everyone's walshes freezing solid overnight and the strangled cries of a few hundred-odd (very odd?) people trying to thaw their way back into their shoes in the morning... if you haven't ever experienced this I suggest you keep it that way

It was certainly around zero that night. We ate well, rehydrated, and I lay on 2 and a bit layers of bubble wrap and was toasty warm / unconscious all night. I've used it for 'normal' camping and lightweight bivvying since and have been fine. I am a warmish sleeper though and always wear light merino LJs and a top - you could have a heavier bag and less warm/dry clothing but that's less flexible, and there's something glorious about getting merino thermals, clean socks and a warm dry pit out of the tiny waterproof sack after putting up the tent.

I guess part of the question is about zip or no zip - lighter, but a bit less easy to vary temperature - although I find sticking my arms out helps cool off.
HTH
b
 Herdwickmatt 20 Apr 2011
In reply to isaac1234: I have just got a Cumulus Ultralight 200 and ME Helium 250 from an online retailer (who I won't recommend due to poor service). However both bags seem good. Instantly out the box the ME seems warmer and more snuggly but I have faith in the build quality and ratings of the Cumulus due to their damn good reputation.
 Simon Caldwell 20 Apr 2011
In reply to isaac1234:
I have a Minimus and use it for 'normal' backpacking as well as MMs. Used with a silk liner I've been warm down to about -1 without wearing clothes (but am a warm sleeper).
In reply to isaac1234:

Worth noting that getting a sleeping bag that fits rather than being loose and baggy helps with how warm it feels, but you don't want it too snug otherwise it will feel claustrophobic.

I'm sure there's a forum on the OMM site where you can ask this sort of thing.

One trick that you can use is to cut three pieces of Karrimat and stick them down the sleeve in the back of an OMM sack - these are then your sleeping mat at night - weighs about the same as the balloon bed and also helps stop things digging in your back when running.

ALC
In reply to isaac1234: I've got a Rab quantum top-bag. Packs down small and is light. Never been cold in it, but have often slept in my spare layer. Most important thing is having some good, comfortable insulation to sleep on. I use a cut-up-and-taped-back-together karrimat that doubles up as my rucksac back support.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...