UKC

Harpur Hill Parking - WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gregoritos 30 Apr 2011
DONT PARK ANYWHERE ON THE HARPUR HILL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE.

Just went to harpur hill to do a few laps on cairn (why anyone else goes there i dont know). Parked in the cafe parking area as the cafe was closed and there were signs everywhere else to say wheel clamping is in operation. Anyway, on our return we found the car had been clamped. The clamping guys were still there so luckily we didnt have to call them out but they refused to listen to any arguments and only unclamped us when we paid !90 POUNDS! by card.

I have never been fined there before so this was really unexpected. I definitely wont be parking there again.
 krank 30 Apr 2011
In reply to gregoritos:
if you go to harper hill you deserve to be clamped, hang your head in shame gregory, you should donate another £90 to the chapel for your sins
In reply to gregoritos:

Bastards!!!
loopyone 30 Apr 2011
In reply to gregoritos: Use your car jack to break it off
 Dominion 30 Apr 2011
In reply to tatty112:

> Use your car jack to break it off

Given that the clampers were still on site, is that good advice?

R8JimBob88 30 Apr 2011
In reply to gregoritos:

Where else is there to park? Planning on a few laps on cairn myself on monday
 chris fox 30 Apr 2011
In reply to R8JimBob88:

Yes, Topley Pike !!!!!
 andi turner 30 Apr 2011
In reply to gregoritos: Just park in Harpur Hill. It's a 10 minute walk.
 drunken monkey 30 Apr 2011
In reply to gregoritos: So you parked somewhere after seeing that wheel clamping was in operation, and wonder why you were clamped?
 John_Hat 30 Apr 2011
In reply to drunken monkey:
> (In reply to gregoritos) So you parked somewhere after seeing that wheel clamping was in operation, and wonder why you were clamped?

I have to admit Mr Drunken Monkey has a point....
 Glansa 01 May 2011
In reply to John_Hat:

I've not been there but I took the term "everywhere else" in the OP as suggesting they parked in the only area without clamping signs that also happens to be the cafe's car park. Can you (or the OP) clarify?
 Soap 01 May 2011
In reply to drunken monkey: I think he is saying he parked on the cafe because there was signs up everywhere else, thinking that it would be ok. That's my interpretation anyway.

£30 and always handy to have in the boot:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht219-36in-bolt-cutter
 cragtyke 01 May 2011
In reply to gregoritos: I was there a month ago on a saturday and the clamping signs were next to the cafe car park, so we parked next to the metal fence on the left as you drive in and we weren't clamped, neither were some kids parked across from us. Do the signs only relate to the cafe parking area?
 drunken monkey 01 May 2011
In reply to Soap: Should have called for........Anglegrinderman!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=zGQMq3hNv-g&
 devilman 01 May 2011
In reply to gregoritos:
SH@T!!!

I parked in the cafe parking area a few weeks ago, thinking as the cafe was closed it fair game.Seems I was lucky to get away with it.
We would have had a nightmare, having little money with us and no cards.
G

FreeloaderJoe 01 May 2011
In reply to gregoritos: whats the legal deal with chopping a clamp off?
 The New NickB 01 May 2011
In reply to FreeloaderJoe:

Criminal damage. Remove it without causing any damage and they cannot do anything.
 Pekkie 01 May 2011
In reply to The New NickB

Presumably you'd have to damage the clamp to get it off, eg using bolt cutters or a whizzer. Not being a lawyer, I would have thought that if someone attaches something to your car you are within your rights to remove it.
 sutty 01 May 2011
In reply to FreeloaderJoe:

Could be criminal damage if the clampers are licenced, if they cannot show they are, tell them remove it or you will cut it off.

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/clamping-on-private-land.html
 Conf#2 01 May 2011
In reply to sutty:

I really enjoy how you always seem to know the answer sutt-man =-)
 sutty 02 May 2011
In reply to confusicating:

I don't, but google does.
 Chris Harris 02 May 2011
In reply to andi turner:
> (In reply to gregoritos) Just park in Harpur Hill. It's a 10 minute walk.

Indeed. Less than that. Park in the College Way/Kirkstone Road area (being sensitive to the locals, of course). Walk up between the cottages & come out next to the Blue Lagoon. It's no more of a walk in than from the Industrial Estate.

The New NickB 02 May 2011
In reply to Pekkie:

Loads of tricks to get them off without damaging them, not an expert myself, but am sure the Internet is full of video demonstrations.
 wilkie14c 02 May 2011
In reply to The New NickB:
Jack up wheel, then let tyre down. This then gives enough slack to get your wheel brace between the clamp and the wheel nuts. Undo nuts and remove wheel. 'Roll' wheel out of clamp. Put on spare and drive off. Copy template letters off the consumercationgroup.com in order to reply to the enevitable letters you'll get through the post. I did not say any of this.
loopyone 02 May 2011
In reply to Dominion: Wait until they go obviously
 birdie num num 02 May 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
That's brilliant. Num Num can't wait to be clamped now.
 Duncan Bourne 02 May 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
A nice touch might be to bill them for a new wheel
 wilkie14c 02 May 2011
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
I guess that is why they hang around after clamping you thesedays, so you are less inclined to remove the clamp yourself. However, they can not physically stop you so if you have a mate with you they can video the proceedings on their phone. Alternativly perhaps we have found what 4x4s are actually good for, those massive wheels must be impossible to clamp.
If you wanted to be really pedantic, it'd be funny to watch their faces as you remove all 4 wheels leaving your car stood on axle stands :-D
 R8JimBob88 02 May 2011
In reply to gregoritos:

Went there today and parked in the village. There are loads of signs on the ind estate about clamping. When we left 6 cars had been clamped! Cant they read?!
In reply to drunken monkey:
4 x 4's do have there uses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmDp4BaYFTM&NR=1
 Bulls Crack 24 May 2011
In reply to gregoritos:

Can we swap HH for Foredale?
 Enty 24 May 2011
In reply to gregoritos:

I've only ever been clamped once - a milk bottle from an adjacent doorstep did the trick.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...