UKC

Gillercombe, Borrowdale, Bird Restriction (Right Wall only)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This unsigned restriction only applies to The Right Wall, ie from Peregrine Way to Prudence inclusive. Prudence is a recent E7 to the right of Caution. It does not affect Grey Knotts Face, String of Pearls, Gillercombe Buttress etc. Introduced 5/5/11 and will last until 30th June.
 Monk 05 May 2011
In reply to Stephen Reid:

What is the best way to find out about bird restrictions in the lakes, especially if you don't have internet access (i.e. when I am on a camping trip?). I know that some are mentioned in the guides, but it doesn't appear to be comprehensive and most of the restrictions seem to be unsigned.

The scramble in the Scrambles guide (most of Bentley's Rabbit’s Trod) is also OK to climb, as done the way the Scrambles guide describes it, the top section is well round the corner to the right and out of sight of the birds (way to the right of Caution etc).

In reply to Monk:

The problem with these birds is that they have minds of their own and, though they tend to favour the same sites each year, they may and do sometimes set up nest in a different place. The guides can mention the current situation at the time of going to print but this will probably have changed ten years later when the same guide is still being sold.

Actually I think most of the restrictions are signed, and certainly all the ones that are popular with climbers. Putting out the signs and retrieving them is a lot of work for the National Park, so arguably not really required on this particular bit of crag where hardly anyone ever climbs.

When on holiday in the Lakes you never quite know where you might end up climbing, so I'd print off the Bird Restrictions at:

http://www.frcc.co.uk/conservation_birdrestrictions.asp

before you go and take them with you. Very few restrictions are added during the course of the season, they are more likely to be lifted as nests fail or chicks fledge, so you should be OK with this, but if you still want to be sure you could always ring us at Needle Sports and we will check the latest position on any crag for you (017687 72227). I'm sure most other climbing shops would do this for you too.

Obviously you may also come across peregrines nesting where there are no climbing restrictions and sometimes you just have to walk away and go somewhere else. There is advice on what to do here:

http://www.frcc.co.uk/conservation_access.asp

Please also let the BMC know - the Gillercombe restriction was introduced as a result of reports from climbers.
 Monk 05 May 2011

Useful information for everyone heading to the lakes. Thank you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...