UKC

Climbing near Bielefeld Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 webbo 20 May 2011
I am going to visit my daughter in Bielefeld in mid June.Anyone know of any climbing within an hour or so.I know there is a wall in town.
Thanks.
 nniff 20 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

You've got the Holzen-Ith here (and a lots of other places along the escarpment):

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1276&bih=879&q=map+biel...

You can just see the crags in the woods above the hairpin bend. very pleasant - sort of grit meets limestone, with bolts.
OP webbo 20 May 2011
In reply to nniff:
I'm probably being a bit thick but I can't see Holzen-lth on that map and it doesn't come up when I type it in.
 Denni 20 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

Hi mate,

on the main road from Bielefeld (at the junction of Sieker lights and the main tram station) head towards Brackwede. You will go up the hill through the forests and about 2 miles up there is a quarry, some good routes in there.

Failing that, head down the route 2 motorway to Paderborn, get on the B1 towards Hameln and there is a place called the Externsteine. Park in the main car park, walk North straight up through the woods and you will come across a massive boulder with everything ranging from a 3 upwards.

http://www.externstein.de/

DO NOT!! climb on the externsteine rocks in the pictures, it will not go down well, shame though!

Have a grand time and if you get the chance, go into the town centre and the Jahnplatz. It is the main junction in town and on Saturdays the massive sports shop called Sportscheck, lets you climb on their quite big wall on the side of the shop:

http://www.kletterwaende.info/bielefeld.html

Love Bielefeld, great city, good memories.
Hope this helps,
Den
 Denni 20 May 2011
In reply to Denni:

Forgot to say, when you travel to the Ith, you go through Hameln. Worth a stop to see the Pied Piper clock.

I don't know how long you have in Bielefeld, but if you get the chance to go to the Harz mountains, park near the huge dam, walk down the hill and there are hundreds of climbs there. It is about 2 hours drive.
OP webbo 20 May 2011
In reply to Denni:
Thanks for the help.
However is there any bouldering.I did find a German website with some blocks round Hartz Okertal
but I couldn't find any directions.I will be out there for 10 days so I will have the chance to quest a round a bit.Also doing abit of touristy stuff will go down with my better half.
 Denni 20 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

Hi matey,
the boulder near the Externsteine may fit the bill and some stuff in the Harz but apart from that, no idea.

Touristy stuff, Sparrenburg Castle on the ridge above Bielefeld is worth a look, Hameln is a nice wee town, Paderborn has a huge "Dom" the Popes second home apparently and a very nice city, Koln only about an hour and a bit away and if you're feeling really adventurous, fly from Paderborn early doors and spend the day in Munich.

If you want any more info, please feel free to drop me a line.
Den
OP webbo 21 May 2011
In reply to Denni:
Thanks again thats helpful.
 nniff 21 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

Sorry about that - don't know what's going on there, but if you follow that link (whgic for some reason best know to google takes you to Bielefeld and type in Holzen-Ith in the search thingy it should take you there.....
 John Ww 21 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

What you need is a copy of HarzBlock - a bouldering guide centred on the Okertal. I'm not sure if it's still available, but my g/f has a copy in Germany you could probably borrow.

Cheers, John
OP webbo 22 May 2011
In reply to John Ww:
It would be great to be able to borrow this or even if you could get me a few photo copied pages of how to find some of the main areas would be fantastic.
Steve
Waldmeister 23 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

There is very good bouldering on the Hallelujasteinbruch (sandstone quarry) directly in Bielefeld. Very pleasant spot with good traverses and boulders and also some very short routes.
http://www.dav-felsinfo.de/html/index.php?option=com_davfelsen&task=vie...

On that site you will also find info about the other areas mentioned before.

For the other areas (Ith, Harz) have a look here:
www.kletternimnorden.de (click on Routen DB or Boulder DB)
OP webbo 23 May 2011
In reply to Waldmeister:
Thanks for that link.
Someone on UKbouldering had pointed me in the direction of that quarry but on Boulder DB only has 3 problems and I couldn't find any directions to any of the crags on that site.
Steve
Waldmeister 23 May 2011
In reply to webbo: There are much more, but nobody has updated the database for them. A lot of defined problems and others worth for more than one day. But be aware it can be very hot when the sun is out!

There is also a good artificial wall in Bielefeld: http://www.speicher1.net/
OP webbo 23 May 2011
In reply to Waldmeister:
Thanks again for the info.I was unsure about dragging a mat out there.Thinking I would use the wall and do a bit of cycling but i will take it now.
 John Ww 23 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

I'll get the g/f to bring Harz bouldering and the Okertal guidebook when she comes over on Thursday and get back to you.

Cheers, JW
OP webbo 24 May 2011
In reply to John Ww:
Thats great.
Thanks.
Steve
Waldmeister 25 May 2011
In reply to webbo: You don't really need a pad. There is enough to do without and there are carpets stored to keep feet clean and there are also mostly other boulderers!
Removed User 25 May 2011
In reply to Waldmeister:

There is some bouldering in the quarry in Bielefeld.

Alos there is a giude book for the area called something like "Rocks Along the Way of Old Herman" which I think was valiable in English but no idea if its still avaliable.

Gary.
OP webbo 25 May 2011
In reply to Waldmeister:
I use a pad before I go upstairs these days.
 John Ww 27 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

Photocopies ready and waiting - pm me with your address and I'll get them off to you.

Cheers, JW
OP webbo 27 May 2011
In reply to John Ww:
I've emailed you.
 John Ww 28 May 2011
In reply to webbo:

Will post it as soon as I can find a post office open - probably Tuesday.

Cheers, John
 John Ww 02 Jun 2011
In reply to John Ww:

Posted today (Thurs), so on its way.
OP webbo 03 Jun 2011
In reply to John Ww:
Cheers and thanks again.Just got to avoid getting E-coli might be the end of 30 years as a vegi.
Steve
OP webbo 03 Jun 2011
In reply to John Ww:
Many thanks John got it today.
Steve
OP webbo 23 Jun 2011
In reply to webbo:
Thanks to everyone who helped me with info.The trip didn't quite to plan due to the missus falling off some steps whilst putting up curtains.
So other than a couple of visits to the local quarry and a visit to Bielefeld wall,not mention an afternoon in Bielefeld A & E didn't do much.
Maybe next time.
Thanks again
 John Ww 24 Jun 2011
In reply to webbo:

Ouch!! Remember, as somebody (Whillans?)once said - "the routes will still be there next year - the trick is to make sure that you are".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...