UKC

I think my new Pontas are too small :'(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
happyman5005 01 Jun 2011
I finally got a pair of new pontas after saving up for some time. My old pair of climbing shoes were way too big so not to make the same mistake I chose pontas that really needed forcing, with plastic bags, to get on (about 2cm smaller than my street shoes). They really hurt my toes and I am getting blisters. Will these stretch out much? Otherwise I'd be very disappointed (these are my second pair of shoes after having regularly climbed in my first pair for a year)
 Keendan 01 Jun 2011
In reply to happyman5005:

Put them on the radiator and wear them a lot, but if after that you have to decide whether it's sensible to keep them or not. Unfortunately there's no point fooling yourself with shoes.

I heard someone talk about putting them in the oven but having not tried it myself I couldn't really offer that advice.

You could sell them on here if necessary. I'm looking for a new pair myself!
 DWilliamson 01 Jun 2011

Yes, it sounds like they are too small. Your climbing shoes should not be causing you blisters - for most purposes, as long as your feet do not move around inside the shoes and there is no significant empty space in the toebox, heel or sides, you do not need to go smaller. That is certainly likely to be true for a second pair of shoes after a year climbing.

The shoes will stretch somewhat, and you can try various time-honoured techniques to help this along (a quick search will turn up countless threads on the subject) but you are probably better off selling them and putting the money towards a larger pair.
 sianabanana 01 Jun 2011
I have been wearing Pontas shoes for about 6 months or so, and was suprised to see they have not stretched out as my 5.10 Anasazi did.

I bought mine a little tight, hoping they would stretch, but they havent really. They are not over tight, so can wear them to climb, but have to take them off between routes.

I notice also, that they are much smellier than the anasazi's i had previously. They get really really bad after about 4/5 indoor sessions and have to be washed. Like wearing jeans after being washed, the pontas seems to stiffen up after washing and soften a little after first use. But doesnt really stretch the shoe to make that much difference to the size/fit.
In reply to sianabanana:

Wash your rock shoes? They are meant to smell.

I give mine a sniff before putting them on for a hard (for me) route.

Gets me fired up.

happyman5005 01 Jun 2011
Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it. Hopefully I can have them exchanged as I've only worn them twice (without actually touching my skin so no smell). Cheers
 Stuart S 01 Jun 2011

You didn't say whether it's the lace-up or velcro version you've bought. I've used both and for what it's worth, if you do end up keeping them, the velcros stretch noticably more than the lace-ups.
 Offwidth 01 Jun 2011
In reply to sianabanana:

"They are not over tight, so can wear them to climb, but have to take them off between routes." ... not overtight means you are either climbing hard enough that tight shoes make a difference or you can wear them for hours.

"I notice also, that they are much smellier than the anasazi's i had previously" Get a less tight pair and wear socks!

Michael Ryan 01 Jun 2011
> I chose pontas that really needed forcing, with plastic bags, to get on (about 2cm smaller than my street shoes). They really hurt my toes and I am getting blisters.

I'm not surprised. I have Pontas lace-ups. Sized them to fit comfortably - none of that silly plastic bag, shoe horn them on, two-sizes too small malarky.

A year on, they aren't baggy, just comfortable (not over-tight) and they perform well.
 Offwidth 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Bet you're too vain for socks though....
hokipoki 01 Jun 2011
In reply to mountain.martin:

Quite recently I had to do a pint out of my deliciously stinky shoe! Got me all set for the weekends climbing I have to admit...And that sticky sensation of residue beer really added some special to the climbing.
 wazzalad20 01 Jun 2011
In reply to happyman5005: My velcro pontas were so painful at first and they felt way too small. They have now softened up that much I can wear them all day! In my experience I dont think they stretch much but they seem to soften and mold to your feet. I would see how you get on with them after a few sessions they might be ok
happyman5005 02 Jun 2011
Ok so I went to the store to have them exchanged today but no such luck. I bought a pair of thin socks instead and taped over the pressure points on my toes. Still feels tight but bearable. I think it might turn out to be alright.
 Keendan 02 Jun 2011

why not wear no socks?
happyman5005 02 Jun 2011
In reply to Daniel Heath: cuz I can't get them on otherwise and I get less blisters.
happyman5005 11 Jun 2011
Just to update, it's been roughly two weeks since my purchase and I can say that I am fully satisfied. The toe area has stretched out nicely to give a tight but comfortable fit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...