UKC

Can you climb using two 10.2mm Beal Edlingers to climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoulderyDave 18 Jun 2011
Hi,

I started climbing at the start of the year in France and have continued to climb in the med. Most of the routes have been sport climbs but I have started to look at simple single pitch trad routes.

The next step up would be for me to use two ropes on separate protections (not twin roping) to stop rope drag.

Would it be possible / safe to use two Edlingers 10.2mm for this purpose or do I have to buy a double rope package?

I have watched the excellent 'get out on rock' dvd by Libby Peter and there seemed to be no mention of needing double ropes

I am mainly asking as a google search did the usual thing of bringing up all answers from 'Certain death' through to 'no issue at all'

Many thanks in advance

Microwired22 18 Jun 2011
In reply to DaveEuroTour: Yes, using, two 10.2mm ropes as half ropes is perfectly safe. But is a little bulky/heavy and faffy through the belay device. But perfectly safe.

Depending on how high the single pitches are you could think of getting a single 60m or 70m half rope and doubling it. The leader tieing in to both ends and the second into the middle. Obviously this only works if the route is under 30m/35m allowing for kinks in the line of the route.

C
OP BoulderyDave 18 Jun 2011
In reply to CragRat_Trad:

Thanks for the advice, I can cope with bulky until we get better

Much appreciated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...