UKC

Avoiding midges by camping high

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 06 Jul 2011
In NW Scotland do we know if you can avoid midges on a sultry evening by camping say at 3,000 ft? Thanks......and how about ticks? Do they extend to the tops of munros?
 halfaseesaw 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Phil1919: I've experienced intolerabe midge levels at 3000 ft - altitude isn't a deterent. I'd assume ticks are also still a pest if there is livestock around. Best defence is a good breeze.
 thomm 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Phil1919:
I reckon camping high does help a bit (more likely to be some sort of a breeze, and a bit further from mass breeding grounds), but is no guarantee. The Swarm of Doom can always find you.
OP Phil1919 06 Jul 2011
In reply to halfaseesaw: Well I guess thats why it'll be nice and quiet in Scotland in August. I was hoping to take just a tent outer but maybe not.
 petestack 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Phil1919:
> and how about ticks? Do they extend to the tops of munros?

Thought you have to reach the top to get the tick...

But, joking apart, of course you can get both right to the summits and the good breeze recommended above will only take care of the midges!

BruceM 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Phil1919:
Agree that height doesn't help. Plenty of midges top of Aonach Mor on Sat. Same on CMD. (although none on the Ben) all within 2 hours of each other in same conditions. But as said you are more likely to get a breeze up high which is what you need.
 victorclimber 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Phil1919: did the Skye Ridge one June and spent the night over 3000,had midges all night and morning..
OP Phil1919 06 Jul 2011
In reply to victorclimber: Mmmmm, perhaps I might go to Benidorm as well then. Are ticks widespread Scotland in peoples experience?
ccmm 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Phil1919:
> Are ticks widespread Scotland in peoples experience?

Ticks and their associated pathogen, Lyme disease, are unfortunately on the increase in Scotland and further afield.

It's worth checking yourself each evening for the wee darlings. Prevention, rather than cure, is the best option for combating them. Wearing shorts is asking for trouble as is walking through bracken and not wearing gaiters or tucking your socks into your breeks.

I try and avoid areas where deer, sheep or cattle inhabit. High on the hills is drier and rockier than the glens so I suppose there will be a smaller population of ticks on the high tops than the usual dwelling places of the beasts.

OP Phil1919 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Craig Mc: Thanks for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...