UKC

Odd sized feet — am I the only one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete O'Donovan 11 Jul 2011
I've always been aware that my left foot was slightly larger than my right, but a nasty accident a few years ago (mashed heel) exacerbated the problem to the point where there's now a good half-size difference.

I can get away with one size for general footware, but for rock-boots I need to buy two pairs of shoes — one of 45 (10.5) and one of 46 (11).

After a few years of doing this I'm now in possession of a number of 'surplus to requirements' odd-sized pairs of rock-boots, left 45 (10.5), right 46 (11). I have an assortment of Tenaya (excellent Spanish 5.10 equivalent) and Evolv shoes, either brand new or with very little use (I've occasionally worn the smaller left foot shoe on very cold days in mid-winter).

If there's anyone out there with the same (but opposite!) problem as myself, this is your big chance!

Pete.
 Jenny C 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: TBH it is normal for people to have slightly differently sized feet and IME right handed people typically have a larger left foot.

FWIW my left foot is a 7.5 and my right a 6.5 and as you say fitting rockshoes (infact any footwear) is a total PITA.
In reply to Jenny C:
If, as you say, the condition is widespread, perhaps there's a need for some kind of on-line 'swap centre'.

Then again, if the larger foot is invariably on the left (most people being right-handed), it wouldn't be of much use anyway.

Another idea is for rock-shoe manufacturers to start selling shoes individually: I know Evolve were advertising odd pairs at around a 20% price premium a few years back, but I don't think this was ever taken up by the UK distributors.

Pete.
 Jenny C 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:
> (In reply to Jenny C)
> Then again, if the larger foot is invariably on the left (most people being right-handed), it wouldn't be of much use anyway.

I said typically, not invariably.
 d508934 11 Jul 2011

5.10 sell odd size pairs for i think a 20% extra fee. but only available far as i know direct from US - which means a customs fee of another 20 quid or so on top of the extra initial price.
Vivvi 11 Jul 2011

My climbing parter has the exact same issue. She has abnormally small feet too - size 2 and size 2.5.
Wonko The Sane 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: You're not the only one. Never noticed until I started climbing, but my first set of shoes were agony because I'd bought them fitting the small foot. Had them measured properly and one foot is a full size bigger than the other! I was going to get two pairs but I'm such a lame climber that my performance, such as it is, is not affected by having a slightly looser shoe on the smaller foot.
irso4b 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: A friend of mine used shoe stretchers to get their rock boots to fit better. Takes a bit of time.
In reply to irso4b:
> (In reply to Pete O'Donovan) A friend of mine used shoe stretchers to get their rock boots to fit better. Takes a bit of time.

I've also tried this approach but the results I've achieved have never been really satisfactory.

Back in the 70's and 80's most rock boots stretched out a good bit with use (too much!), but the modern shoes seem far better made and thus far harder to stretch.

Maybe I'll give it another go.
 Clarence 11 Jul 2011

I have a size 8 right foot and a size 9 left. I generally buy shoes for the bigger foot and then make adjustments on the other. My rock boots are both size 8.5, a snug fit for my left foot but the right one has had a sorbothane footbed permanently glued in to take up some volume, it doesn't help the toe end but it makes the shoe a bit better for smearing and edging. By glueing the footbed you don't get that horrible slippage when your foot is at full twist on a small edge.
 antdav 11 Jul 2011
I'm a half size bigger on the left, didnt realise until i upgraded to a more technical pair.

Why is it the left is generally bigger?
In reply to antdav:

To quote Jenny C: "right handed people typically have a larger left foot"

Scientifically I have no idea why this should be, but given that (apparently) between 70 and 90% of people are right-handed, more people will have a larger left foot than vice versa.
 Scott K 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: Hi Pete,
I am the exact opposite of you, right foot is a 46 and left is 45. I have always just bought the same size shoes and stuffed my foot in but it means that I have started getting a bunion on my right toe. For my next pair I think I will try to get some evolv in different sizes. They do them in the US for a small extra charge.
In reply to Scott K:

I knew that had to be someone out there!

Not sure if you read the whole of my original post but I have a number of odd pairs of shoes for sale (left 45, right 46).

Of the top of my head I think I have:

Evolv Quest AF
Evolv Bandit (older style)
Tenaya Messai (lace-up)
Tenaya Ra (slipper).

Let me know if any of these are of interest to you.

Apologies to moderators if this is now in the wrong forum.
 Fluvial 11 Jul 2011

Having different size feet is common I am a quarter size different my son half a size, so is my sisters it can be common not enough though for me to worry with shoes.
 Scott K 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: Hi Pete,
I'd be very interested. How much would you like for them? I'll mail you with my email. Regards, Scott.
In reply to Scott K:

You have mail.
 Hannes 12 Jul 2011
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: I have the same problem as well though I'm too cheap to buy two separate pairs with the result that my right big toe is now numb and has a big callous where the shoe presses on it.

Had they been a size or two smaller I would have taken a pair off your hands as I have the foot size configuration but eleven is about a size too big at least
In reply to Hannes:

Shame about that.

Even so, as someone who is now suffering the consequences of years of foot abuse I strongly advise to you to stop mistreating your feet!

Buy two pairs, find a 'swap partner', or expect to suffer agonies when you get older!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...