UKC

lofoten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nicolat 20 Jul 2011
Hi people- just a few questions to put out there: has anyone driven from Calais to Lofoten? Thinking of going for four weeks- is it worth the drive- or just too far to be fun!!?
Also has anyone been recently? What has the weather been like?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Jul 2011
In reply to nicolat:

A long drive for sure, though four weeks is a decent spell of time.

This summer has been pretty good so far - a bit cool but lots of dry weather - and no rain in the 10 day forecast.

Chris
oquinton 20 Jul 2011
I never got to Lofoten, but I drove to Sjoa last year for some kayaking - I actually went on the Harwich - Hook of Holland ferry, so my journey started a bit further north, but even so it took a full 48 hours to get there!

It's an incredible trip, the Oresund bridge was a real highlight (if you like that sort of thing!). I'll be honest, I think the 'fun' of the journey is probably gained from the stories you can tell when you get home rather than actually truly enjoying the drive!

O
 HeMa 20 Jul 2011
In reply to nicolat:

For 4 weeks and with an additional driver or two, it won't be that bad.

That said, I mwould try to get another ferry a bit closer (if there are any such connections... to Denmark or Germany perhaps).

And remember to drive through Sweden... a lot quicker (at least after Trondheim).
 Rog Wilko 20 Jul 2011
In reply to HeMa: I think there's a ferry from Harwich or somewhere to Esbjerg in Denmark. Reduces the journey considerably.
 heleno 20 Jul 2011
In reply to nicolat:
If you are going for 4 weeks you could consider making it more of a road trip, through Poland and the Baltic states and across from Tallinn to Finland. Come back via Sweden and Denmark. We did something similar a few years ago and it was a good trip, with Lofoten the highlight. As an added bonus you can stock up on cheap Polish beer to consume in Norway!
 joepremier 20 Jul 2011
In reply to nicolat: Drove from Calais to Lofoten in June this year, we had two drivers and spread it over 3 and half days each way. Had two weeks in Lofoten and it was worth the drive, so four weeks will be even better! The drive is long but the scenery is pretty good a lot of the time and it's better for the enivronment than flying and if there's a full car it's better for your wallet too!
We had a couple of rainy days and then amazing weather for the duration.
Have fun!
 johnnorman 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> (In reply to HeMa) I think there's a ferry from Harwich or somewhere to Esbjerg in Denmark. Reduces the journey considerably.

From memory this is a 22hr sailing
 Mikkel 20 Jul 2011
In reply to johnnorman:

Its down to 17 hours now.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That's the way we came up this year - Harwich>Esbjerg (c20 hrs), drive to the top of Denmark (4 hrs), Ferry across to Larvik (3 hours) then about a 20 hr haul up Norway to Lofoten. (We cheated and got on the coastal ferry at Trondheim - which cuts out the long boring section of the E6)>

Chris
 TobyA 20 Jul 2011
In reply to nicolat: When we were there a few years back we hung out with a couple of French guys who had driven from the south of France. There are places in Sweden where you could stop for an afternoon's climbing to break up the journey as well - and make a bit more of a road trip of it. Calais (well actually if you're not French and living in Calais, but coming from the UK, take the Norfolk Lines ferry to Dunkirk instead, save a few miles) to the Sweden bridge is more of a slog than you might think. Sweden is big but the roads are so much quieter than Denmark and south and somehow the driving is very un-stressful.

I live in Helsinki and have driven to the UK a number of times from there, and also from there up to Lofoten a number of times, so know most of the route you would take. I can suggest some possible climbing stops on the way up if you are interested.
 Rog Wilko 21 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA: I think several of us might be interested in such information.
 HeMa 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A good start would be the map @ www.27crags.com

Some things in Swe to hit would be Bohuslan and possibly Ågelsjön (trad).

For sport Niemisel is on the way as well.

And a lot of other stuff. Some more info can be found @ www.sverigeforaren.se (albeit most of the website is in swedish, but klättring = climbing and most of the stuff is pretty easy to decypher anyway). www.borrbult.com also has some stuff (mainly the northern parts).
OP nicolat 21 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA: yes that would be excellent! Thanks
 TobyA 21 Jul 2011
In reply to nicolat: The High Coast is a lovely area in Northern Sweden and Ringkallen is a great crag. http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10500 The motorway up north goes right through the area so its very much on route.

And then there are lots of cliffs around Stockholm. Ågelsjön http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=15612 is about an hour before as you come from the SW. Very pretty area, nice swimming and very easy access. Various walls with both trad and sport.

Häggsta is just south of Stockholm and also a nice spot: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=12339

Haven't climbed there as I'm not good enough but Niemisel looks amazing if you want some hard sport. Follow HeMa's suggestions above for the north of Sweden.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Jul 2011
In reply to nicolat:
Met a couple this morning who had driven up from Portugal - now that is a trip!!!

Chris
 Rog Wilko 22 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA: Could you give a quick grade comparison for UK and n grades, please?
 TobyA 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko: Just to note, Swedish grades aren't the same as Norwegian grades - but there is no Swedish option in the UKC logbook system so people have added Swedish routes in a mix of Norwegian and UK grades.

And just to add to the fun Norwegian grades change quite a lot between the different areas I've visited. Lofoten is soft or Kvaloya is hard, not sure which. Swedes seems to be using French grades quite a lot these days as well.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:

N4+ = HS
N5 = VS
N5+ = HVS
N6 = E1
N7 = E3

Usual conditions apply

Chris
 Rog Wilko 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs: Thanks to all on that. Much as I'd guessed.
BTW, we're thinking of driving up to Lofoten next year. Is June the best month? We're fortunately able to go at will.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The weather is a bit of a lottery - most years see a sustained period of good weather - though that can be any time between June and September. All I would say is avoid July - it has been absolutely heaving the last three weeks.

Chris
 pyrrho101 22 Jul 2011
In reply to joepremier: I heard that the back seat was the best. Is this true?
 Graeme Barr 22 Jul 2011
In reply to nicolat: Anyone know if there is a ferry over to Denmark from further north in the uk?
 joepremier 25 Jul 2011
In reply to mgranger: This is not true!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...