UKC

Swap Climbing Advice for Cycling Coaching!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SoleMarc 29 Jul 2011
Hi All

Brand new to this forum (or any forum!) but been looking on here for a while hoping to pick up some tips etc.

I have climbed once before! At my local sports centre in Weston-super-Mare we have a small wall that I have had a go on and really enjoyed, I have gone back to the small version and practiced my hand holds etc and am really enjoying the challenge.

Researching this has been quite tough, I don't understand any of the jargon and tech speak but love reading accounts of people's trips.

My wife suggested to me this morning that I should offer to swap my cycle coaching expertise (I run my own cycle coaching business full time) for some climbing instruction, that way I can meet some new people and swap skills. For my part I have all the bikes, helmets, qualifications and years of cycle coaching experience to get you started and flying along, I also have a van which has been kitted out for a trip round Europe that we made this winter (amazing trip!)...if you have the equipment and climbing knowledge and want to find a new climbing partner who is a quick learner then I would love to get together.

I have a good level of fitness, really enjoy mountain walking, mountainbiking, I regularly compete at triathlon up to Ironman distance, but am now looking for new challenges and I think Mountaineering is the way forward for me...I am finding the whole thing really intriguing and I am excited by the prospect of learning a new skill and meeting some new people.

Any other suggestions of ways to get into climbing welcomed!

The website for the club I run is www.sole-cycling.org...to check I am legit and my email is marc@sole-events.co.uk

Cheers
Marc

Mark F 30 Jul 2011
In reply to SoleMarc:

Hi Marc,

If you keep an eye on this forum there are frequently aspirant instructors (generally people working towards the Mountain Instructor Award) who are looking for people like yourself to practice on. This is a great way to learn from experienced climbers while at the same time having a lot of fun in the hills. Alternatively, signing up for a beginners course is worthwhile - have a look at scrambling or rock climbing courses run by Plas y Brenin, for example: http://www.pyb.co.uk

I am in Yorkshire so it's not easy to meet up, but if you have any questions or need advice about gear or whatever please feel free to email me (via the profile page on here - click on the question mark next to my log-on name).

Mark
SoleMarc 31 Jul 2011
In reply to Mark F:
Mark
Thanks buddy, you are a legend, I will check out the courses you suggest, I actually have a few days towards the end of the holidays when I am quiet so I may try and book onto a course as you suggest.
I will keep my eyes peeled for people wanting Guinea Pigs too, that sounds like a great way to meet some people.

Otherwise it's going to be a long wait for the new climbing wall that I read we are having built here in sunny Weston-super-Mare...2013!

Have a great weekend
Marc
SoleMarc 01 Aug 2011
In reply to Everyone:

To all those lovely people who replied, either on here or direct by email, thank you for your support.

I actually went down to Undercover Rock this morning with an old friend who said he used to climb...it turns out that he can, rather well!

So I am now the proud owner of some shoes, a harness and a burning set of forearms! But I did love it, I didn't even mind the height so much once I had been up and down a few times.

Looking forward to climbing outdoors once I have served my apprenticeship, would be really interested to hear from anyone who needs to practice on a newcomer!

Happy climbing to all
Marc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...