UKC

Campsites near Horseshoe Quarry/Stoney Middleton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Seb2007 02 Aug 2011
Anybody know of any reasonable campsites near Horseshoe Quarry?
 smithaldo 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Seb2007: Are you really travelling from london with the purpose of climbing at horseshoe?

I dont know, the youth of today.
 smithaldo 02 Aug 2011
In reply to smithaldo: oh and in terms of camping, there is not that much close. sometimes the three stags head lets you camp, but it's a field, not a campsite. I imagine the closest proper campsite that you can pitch up at and get a spot is bakewell maybe, or edale might (just) be closer.

Basically the peak isnt as good as one would think for camping.
 Bulls Crack 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Seb2007:

Windy Ledge of course!
In reply to Seb2007:

on the road out to peak forest there is usually tents on the right.... (about 2 miles from horseshoe) just before the left turn to Monsal head. not sure what the deal is with camping there though
OP Seb2007 02 Aug 2011
In reply to smithaldo:

I know, it's pretty shocking. Haven't been to Horseshoe in years, but I'm sure it's not awful. Thanks for the info.
OP Seb2007 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Where is Windy Ledge? Can't find any reference to it at all.
bobmalaria 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Seb2007:

I've been to Horseshoe recently (2 weeks ago) and it was not as bad as most people say it is.

-Yes, there is an active quarry across the road and explosions may shake up the rock a bit
-Yes there can be loose holds occasionally
- Yes some of the anchors are a bit rusty (also I found all of the ones I climbed on to be solid)

but

I found most of the routes enjoyable, especially on the upper tier section.
You even have what someone like me, who works in an office without windows, calls a view and on the day I went there where a few other teams climbing so it can't be that terrible after all.

After hearing so many "horror" stories about Horseshoe here in the forum and also in my local gym, I found the climbing to be really ok. Like everywhere else it is up to your judgement... Wear a helmet...
 Michael Ryan 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Seb2007:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> Where is Windy Ledge? Can't find any reference to it at all.

Read this: Tales of Windy Ledge

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2549

and this

The Ledge is Narrower. The 2010 Stoney Reunion: A Personal Perspective

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3

and this

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=57775
 Michael Ryan 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

Ledge is Narrower

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3023
 Bulls Crack 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Seb2007:

If you use it - don't fall off it

It's an atmospheric place to kip if a little hard and if it rains a lot you get wet!
 mark20 02 Aug 2011
Windy Ledge stays dry in the rain and it is really wide, you'd have to be stupid to roll off in the night. However, noise from the road and lights from the garage are a nightmare.
Best bet might be a tent in Horseshoe Quarry? It's owned by the BMC so I don't think anyone would mind if you pitch late and get up early
OP Seb2007 03 Aug 2011
In reply to mark20:

I was under the impression that wild camping wasn't permitted in Horseshoe. Could somebody clarify?
 Simon 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Seb2007:

Mark is giving a big hint - no need for clarification Seb... ;0)

Si
 Bulls Crack 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Simon:

There's caves too

Part of the Stoney experience is to be a bit grubby the next morning!
Baz47 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Seb2007:
How near? 10-15 minutes car ride? Eric Byne site at Birchens, North Leas at Hathersage, several down in Hope. There were tents at the Bob Downes Hut at froggatt last week. Or, go up the incline and pitch in the hollow on top of Horseshoe. The site up the road near Foolow has closed. There is a good bird hide over the road near Glebe Mine.
 Simon 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Baz47:
> (In reply to Seb2007)
Or, go up the incline and pitch in the hollow on top of Horseshoe.

There is actually at the moment a man made camp up there (up on the right as you walk in)made by (we think) locals. Its a Ray Mears job.

It won't be there after the summer, but people are definelty using it and respecting the wild camping ethos- leave only footprints and take any rubbish you find with you and Horseshoe will love you for it...

Si
 Bob Bennett 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Baz47:
Now now Baz, thats naughty! No camping in the Glebe bird hides!
OP Seb2007 05 Aug 2011
In reply to Simon:

That's great, thank you! Could make for a fun night.
 jpm102 05 Aug 2011
In reply to Seb2007:

There is a campsite in Calver, Stocking farm, behind the craft centre.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...