UKC

Recommend me a place to buy cheapish merino base layer tops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 existing debt 02 Aug 2011
Ok, so im fed up of stinking HH tops and sticky moisture grabbing cotton, Ive only heard great things about merino tops, but they are a bit pricey,

Does anyone know of any shops selling these tops at give away sale prices

Thanks in advance

Paul T
 Petarghh 02 Aug 2011
In reply to existing debt: Possibly the epicentre in Ambleside but you may have to go in-store, im sure i've seen some in their bargain attic.
OP existing debt 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Petarghh:

thanks, but maybe a bit of a trek up from Devon.

Paul

JazG 02 Aug 2011
In reply to The New NickB: Good find! Wish I'd spotted them when I was in store last week....
 hokkyokusei 02 Aug 2011
In reply to existing debt:

I occasionally see them in TK Max at good prices.
dan 02 Aug 2011
In reply to hokkyokusei: I too have had a few from TK maxx, they will be getting winter stock in pretty soon...
In reply to existing debt: http://www.lesswet.com/view.aspx?ID=1

not bought anything from there but will do next time I buy a base layer!
 Timmd 02 Aug 2011

I saw some for 15 pounds in Decathlon, the only thing against merino is how you can start to cool off after exercise because of the moisture being held onto by the wool.

I read that in high altitude mountaineering merino isn't great and synthetic is much better, in that you smell but don't die I suppose.

The Howies Waffle mid layer with a zip is great at transporting the moisture from the wool base layer outwards though, as soon as you stop the Waffle layer seems to start transporting the moisture, so you're only cooler for a fairly short time.

If you're thinking of wearing merino for Scottish winter climbing or something where you don't want to get cold, it could be worth experimenting a bit.

Cheers
Tim

Mate you should have said I'd have picked you a couple up at €15 a pop in Decathlon the other day! I bought 3.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...