UKC

TNF Hi Vent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
myth 11 Aug 2011
Does anyone know much about tnf coats with this fabric. I have never heard of it before but their outlet shop is selling jackets using the material for £83 down from £240.

Can’t remember the model name unfortunately. Looking for the jacket as an all round water proof and for winter walks and snow scambles.

Any opinions welcome.
 Andy Mott 11 Aug 2011
In reply to myth:

Hyvent is their own breathable fabric, and is usually fine. I've seen good and bad reviews of gear using Hyvent, Goretex and eVent so it's all pretty much down to individual preference and experience. If you can get a decent jacket at a massive saving then go for it, as it's likely to do what you need. Getting the name of the garment and checking reviews specific to it will give you much better info mind!
 duncfunk 11 Aug 2011
In reply to myth: Do you know if its standard HyVent, or HyVent Alpha?

Standard HyVent is made up of layers of PU coated to the inside of the face fabric, so is still fully waterproof although not quite as breathable as membrane fabrics like Gore-tex or eVent, as the pores (micro holes that allow the fabric to breath) in PU are are smaller and less frequent.

HyVent Alpha sits somewhere in between HyVent and a Gore-tex or eVent membrane. Its still made of PU, so still not as breathable as Gore or eVent, but it is laminated to the face fabric rather than just being a coating (ie. a PU sheet is manufactured separately and bonded to the face fabric). This makes the waterproofing more durable than with standard HyVent as the quality of the PU layer is controlled and it doesn't diminish with frequent washing. Alpha is also more breathable than standard HV as its constructed to be directly breathable, allowing moisture to pass through without having to condense (similar of eVent etc).

So basically neither are as good as Gore or eVent when it comes to breathability, but both are sufficiently weather proof and unless your going to be doing very fast and strenuous walking/scrambling, should be breathable enough too (especially if its for mainly winter use). Standard HyVent generally wont maintain its weather proofing as long as the others if used and washed frequently, but again only an issue if you think you will be doing so!
myth 12 Aug 2011
In reply to duncfunk: cheers for that, Think i will hold out for event of goretex coat.

ryan_d 12 Aug 2011
In reply to myth: I have a TFN Hyvent Alpha jacket that I bought from their outlet store. It looks great, but is heavy and is probably the worst jacket I have worn for the hills. It just does not breathe and you are quickly drowning in your own sweat. Its been relegated to around town use now after I bought an event jacket which is much better.....and cheaper.

Ryan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...