UKC

OMM Cypher durability?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 03 Sep 2011
Looking for a new shell and stumbled across the OMM Cypher jacket and all the reviews look really positive. My only concern is whether at 300g it will last used with a heavy pack and occasoinally for scrambling.

Anyone got one who could tell me?
 petestack 03 Sep 2011
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Dunno about the jacket when the zip might help save it from what happened to my smock, but caveat emptor...
http://www.petestack.com/blog/running/last-omm-product-ill-be-buying.html
OP MonkeyPuzzle 03 Sep 2011
In reply to petestack:

Montane it is then!
 zephr 03 Sep 2011
In reply to petestack: Interesting, sorry I couldnt reply to the blog, but the posting function appears to be closed.

It looks interesting as the fabric appears to have been melted- a bit like a montane jacket I had and destroyed in the past. Mine was to do with excessive friction between the smock and the sack.
From the looks of it, (and this is simply from looking, I'm not judging) it *might* be the waist belt from the rucksac causing friction on the jacket, which caused it to melt... that'd be the most obvious explanation.
Beyond that, dunno. the evil gear faeres got to the fabric or summat...?!

Rubbish that OMM didnt replace, I might have to think again before going and splashing cash...
 petestack 03 Sep 2011
In reply to zephr:
> (In reply to petestack) Interesting, sorry I couldnt reply to the blog, but the posting function appears to be closed.

Yep, sorry about that, but I have commenting automatically closed after 28 days (anti-spam measure to save me blacklisting even more than I currently do!). So perhaps this is a post where I'd have preferred to keep the comments form live, but it's a global setting and closing them all after a specified period seems the lesser of two evils.

> From the looks of it, (and this is simply from looking, I'm not judging) it *might* be the waist belt from the rucksac causing friction on the jacket, which caused it to melt... that'd be the most obvious explanation.

Yes, that possibility's basically acknowledged and covered in the post (light use with lightly-loaded 20-litre *OMM* sack!), but the thing's sold for adventure racing (requiring similar sacks) and really should be able to take that.

> Rubbish that OMM didnt replace, I might have to think again before going and splashing cash...

My thoughts exactly (and those of everyone outside OMM who's discussed this with me)!
OP MonkeyPuzzle 03 Sep 2011
In reply to petestack:

Well, it's a massive own goal from them isn't it? Outdoor equipment manufacturers, especially relatively unknown ones, live and die by word-of-mouth advertising. Dunno what the guy at OMM was thinking really.
 zephr 04 Sep 2011
In reply to petestack:

Just out of interest, when you run do you synch your sack in really close to stop it from bouncing around?
I did that with mine and basically melted my featherlite
http://testedtodestruction.blogspot.com/2010/10/montane-featherlite-smock.h...

I'm going to struggle to find a waterproof that doesnt melt on me when running with a sack... thanks for the heads up on the OMM because I dont think its going to take the battering it needs to.

back to the drawingboard.
 petestack 04 Sep 2011
In reply to zephr:
> Just out of interest, when you run do you synch your sack in really close to stop it from bouncing around?

No, I wouldn't say so (not with this style of sack and weight of gear), and especially not during the brief common history of Cypher Smock and sack so far, when the sack's been practically empty (carried mainly as somewhere to put the smock and/or leggings) and so light you'd barely know it was there.

gear boy 06 Sep 2011
In reply to: The friction rubbing on a rucsac happens still at light loads, especially if active, running etc. it is quite amazing how quickly you can knacker a jacket,
Ive gone through base layers in an hour (webbing on shoulder strap rubbed against side of body)

most rucsac fabrics are actually quite rough, the "airmesh" stuff is like a sandpaper to some fabrics

only easy answers are heavier more durable fabrics on the jacket (but you dont want the weight) or find a pack with softer smoother contact fabrics (which probably wont move moisture as well and also be less durable on the rucsac)
Double edged sword anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...